Do you suffer from an affective disorder?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disorder
In summary: Mental illness is very though to deal with. Most people will just not understand what's going on and think that you're crazy. When you have a broken leg, then people will sympathize with you and help you. But when you have a mental illness, then people avoid you and make fun of you.In summary, people with mental illness often suffer from a lack of social support and can feel very alone.

What mental affective disorder do you have? (or did you have once)

• Psychosis, schizophrenia

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Eating disorder

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Anxiety disorder

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Depression

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Bipolar disorder or other mood disorder

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Autism spectrum disorder (aspergers)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Personality disorder

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • OCD

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • none

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • PTSD

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters

It's good to see posters voting none, given the vast amounts of creativity in members, given the "supposed links" between creativity and depression.

Humour helps!

Jimmy Snyder said:
I voted for none. I didn't see it there at first and naturally I assumed that someone was trying to set me up as some kind of nut case. People always are you know. Sometimes when I'm walking, I can feel their eyes on me. When I turn around to see them they hide, but I know they're there waiting for their chance to get me.

I feel better these days. No longer are they all out to get me. We are all out to get you! Look out!

Lacy33 said:
Damn Crazy, Frigin Nuts...

My symptoms may be milder than yours. One sandwich short of a picnic, one slate short of a roof, and so on.

Pengwuino said:
Does being a physicist count?

rhody said:
No, being a closet penguin does !

Maybe a penguin that is a physicist counts

Sharing helps!

micromass said:
avoidant personality disorder

I'd never heard of this. The Wikipedia article gives a frighteningly accurate description of my experiences.

lisab said:
I didn't realize how debilitating it was until it was gone.

You never do while you are "on the inside".

SpringCreek said:
Now in my forties it's anger...It feels like a progression.

Mine is a similar experience, though I'm probably not angry enough.

Discussion may help!?

My immediate thoughts are that discussion can help, but at the end of the day, no matter how wise, you cannot reason yourself out of depression, in many cases reason can reinforce it. It seems that you have to rely on a trusted individual diagnosis, that is why I only voted on my diagnoses. At the end of the day, a sufferers view has to be taken into account, as, as has been said, a lot of people live their whole lives in a state of what might be called depression and will see it as normal, as "that is how things are". It does have to be dealt with subjectively, and on a case by case basis, and not pigeonhole sufferers into a diagnosis with a treatment. And the sufferer has to see the problem, and has to want to do something about it. I seem to be saying what Borek is saying in #27, but with less clarity, and from a sufferers point of view. I don't think classification is a problem, but that a narrow pigeonholing of sufferers would be, and marketing may well encourage this. I need a better word for "sufferer", too depressing".

As Jimmy Snyder says in #30, I'm sure plenty of people luxuriate in depression, though I don't see anything unusual in the numbers for this poll.

Physics news on Phys.org

Jimmy Snyder said:
By reading the posts, I get the impression that you don't so much suffer from mental illness as you luxuriate in it.
Anyone with a manic or hypomanic component to their condition is likely to make gross fun of the whole thing. "Inappropriate humor" crops up in a lot of diagnoses, including neurological ones. Here's one I recall from Oliver Sacks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witzelsucht

Evo said:
Mentally ill sounds too harsh, what would be a better way of saying it?

I try to use the term mental health issue.

I voted OCD and anxiety disorder, although OCD is an anxiety disorder. I assume the person who made the poll is referring to general anxiety or social anxiety with anxiety disorder. I have social anxiety. For those who have OCD and depression, they have quite a high comorbidity. Heres the Stanford University website:

"Patients with OCD are at high risk of having comorbid (co-existing) major depression and other anxiety disorders. In a series of 100 OCD patients who were evaluated by means of a structured psychiatric interview, the most common concurrent disorders were: major depression (31%), social phobia (11%), eating disorder (8%), simple phobia (7%), panic disorder (6%), and Tourette's syndrome (5%). "

I think bouts of depression are likely with OCD and other anxiety disorders. Since they can take their toll.

nobahar said:

I voted OCD and anxiety disorder, although OCD is an anxiety disorder. I assume the person who made the poll is referring to general anxiety or social anxiety with anxiety disorder. I have social anxiety. For those who have OCD and depression, they have quite a high comorbidity. Heres the Stanford University website:

"Patients with OCD are at high risk of having comorbid (co-existing) major depression and other anxiety disorders. In a series of 100 OCD patients who were evaluated by means of a structured psychiatric interview, the most common concurrent disorders were: major depression (31%), social phobia (11%), eating disorder (8%), simple phobia (7%), panic disorder (6%), and Tourette's syndrome (5%). "

I think bouts of depression are likely with OCD and other anxiety disorders. Since they can take their toll.
There's a lot of co-morbidity going around. I have a diagnosis of Major Depression, but this is most likely an epiphenomenon of a seizure disorder. Something like 49% of people with seizure disorders also have symptoms of Major Depression.

One book I read about Asperger's asserted it almost never happens in isolation, that it is usually co-morbid with something else, common things being OCD, OCPD, Tourettes, Depression, Seizures, and Bipolar Disorder. I don't know how accurate that particular book was, but my impression is that it's actually rare to find a clean, insulated case of any mental diagnosis, one without features of something else.

So, I guess micromass needs to decide whether or not he wants the poll to reflect those who've been clinically diagnosed? Do each of the illnesses in his poll require a clinical diagnosis to be debilitating? I don't mean to be pedantic, but I think the results of the poll would benefit from his input on what he wants.

Dembadon said:
So, I guess micromass needs to decide whether or not he wants the poll to reflect those who've been clinically diagnosed? Do each of the illnesses in his poll require a clinical diagnosis to be debilitating? I don't mean to be pedantic, but I think the results of the poll would benefit from his input on what he wants.
I drew a line for Borek's benefit, a definite mark beyond which a problem cannot be denied, but there are many people who'll go to a doctor when they sense they're in trouble and are approaching the line without having crossed it. There's a gradient and a person doesn't have to have been outright debilitated to seek treatment or merit a diagnosis. It's certainly a lot smarter to go to a doctor if you simply feel depression is escalating than it is to wait until you can't get out of bed and hope you die, for example. Likewise, if you have to have to get back out of the car and check and make sure you locked the front door more than once a trip, it's probably time to see a doc rather than wait until you miss work because you spent the whole day getting back out of the car to make sure you locked the door.

However, I think the poll should be limited to people who've actually gotten a diagnosis from a doctor.

Dembadon said:

Well, I'm not after a serious study on the health of the PF members. I just wanted to make people feel that they're not alone. So I'm not going to say that you need a diagnosis to vote on something. Maybe a better title for this poll would be: "what mental illness do you recognize in yourself?" or something...

This poll is just a "You're not alone"-poll, it's not meant as a scientific survey...

micromass...

you're not alone

=)

We love you micro.

micromass said:
This poll is just a "You're not alone"-poll, it's not meant as a scientific survey...

That was how I read it. I did vote only on my diagnoses as I trust them more than my own judgement on this issue, which would slant to having everything going. And I'm finding new ones here! I've just managed to convince myself I don't have Witzelsucht. Hard to resist with a name like that, but at the end of the day I just have to face up to the harsh reality that I am just not funny.

You're certainly not alone. Just feels like that sometimes.

micromass said:
Well, I'm not after a serious study on the health of the PF members. I just wanted to make people feel that they're not alone. So I'm not going to say that you need a diagnosis to vote on something. Maybe a better title for this poll would be: "what mental illness do you recognize in yourself?" or something...

That was my interpretation of what you wanted. :smile:

nobahar said:

I was the one that added OCD as a separate choice on the poll. I wasn't sure that people with OCD would know to choose anxiety. As micro mentioned, the poll is not meant to be a medical thread, it's just to let people know that they aren't alone and it's nothing to be embarrassed about. I think creative/scientific people are more prone to these types of things.

The thread isn't about micro either, he did it for others. There was an article last week that said 40% of Europeans are mentally ill, and that's what started the discussion.

Pythagorean said:
micromass...

you're not alone

Borek said:
We love you micro.
Seconded, BTW, Micro, were your surprised, relieved to learn that you are not alone ? I bet it makes you feel a wee bit better, no ?

Rhody...

P.S. edit: Sorry Micro, I vaguely remember that from chat on Sunday, Evo put me in my place, no harm no foul intended.

Last edited:
rhody said:
Seconded, BTW, Micro, were your surprised, relieved to learn that you are not alone ? I bet it makes you feel a wee bit better, no ?

Rhody...
This thread isn't about micro, he started it to help OTHERS.

Nearly 40 percent of Europeans suffer mental illness

Europeans are plagued by mental and neurological illnesses, with almost 165 million people or 38 percent of the population suffering each year from a brain disorder such as depression, anxiety, insomnia or dementia, according to a large new study.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/04/us-europe-mental-illness-idUSTRE7832JJ20110904

Another article (non medical)

Creative minds: the links between mental illness and creativity

At first glance, Einstein, Salvador Dali, Tony Hancock, and Beach Boy Brian Wilson would seem to have little in common. Their areas of physics, modern art, comedy, and rock music, are light years apart. So what, if anything, could possibly link minds that gave the world the theory of relativity, great surreal art, iconic comedy, and songs about surfing?

According to new research, psychosis could be the answer. Creative minds in all kinds of areas, from science to poetry, and mathematics to humour, may have traits associated with psychosis. Such traits may allow the unusual and sometimes bizarre thought processes associated with mental illness to fuel creativity. The theory is based on the idea that there is no clear dividing line between the healthy and the mentally ill. Rather, there is a continuum, with some people having psychotic traits without having the debilitating symptoms.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/creative-minds-the-links-between-mental-illness-and-creativity-1678929.html

This is also an interesting article:

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/39/11/36.full?maxtoshow=&HITS=20&hits=20&RESULTFORMAT=&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&tocsectionid=Clinical*&displaysectionid=Clinical+and+Research+News&journalcode=psychnews

Last edited by a moderator:

wiki (and therefore unreliable) said:
Witzelsucht, from the German witzeln, meaning to joke or wisecrack, and sucht meaning addiction or yearning, is a set of rare neurological symptoms characterized by the patient's uncontrollable tendency to make puns, tell inappropriate jokes and pointless or irrelevant stories at inconvenient moments. The patient nevertheless finds these utterances intensely amusing.
Gaah, just thinking about this makes me sick.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Gaah, just thinking about this makes me sick.
:smile:

I think I have misophonia (developed in the last 5 years). http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/health/06annoy.html" I think I'll need to bring it up at an upcoming doctor's appointment.

I still have a feeling we are throwing kid with a bathwater. Yes, I have my quirks, but I don't think they should be classified as a disorder. They don't stop me from doing what I am doing, even if sometimes they slow me down. But then I am also slowed down by the fact I am not strong enough to repair the gate to the garage without a help. Does it make me ill?

Now those without problems are 9 out of 34. I guess micromass forgot to add hypochondria to the list :devil:

Borek said:
I still have a feeling we are throwing kid with a bathwater. Yes, I have my quirks, but I don't think they should be classified as a disorder. They don't stop me from doing what I am doing, even if sometimes they slow me down. But then I am also slowed down by the fact I am not strong enough to repair the gate to the garage without a help. Does it make me ill?

Now those without problems are 9 out of 34. I guess micromass forgot to add hypochondria to the list :devil:
Well, you may be one of the "normal ones" Borek. :biggrin:

physics girl phd said:
I think I have misophonia (developed in the last 5 years). http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/health/06annoy.html" I think I'll need to bring it up at an upcoming doctor's appointment.
I've known people that have talked about it, but had no idea what it was called.

physics girl phd said:

From the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia" quote: "People who have misophonia are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by the sound of other people eating, breathing, coughing, or other ordinary sounds. "]

I know someone who has it, a family member, but up till know I always interpreted it as that person lacking empathy or being insensitive. As a person who has been the target of the family member who is annoyed, I must say I am equally if not more annoyed at them being annoyed at me. Does this mean I have "reactive misophonia", let's add that to the recent five year list as well ! I wouldn't be as upset were it not for the fact that in almost every case I can't keep from coughing.

Rhody... :mad:

You know, people say that you can know yourself by knowing who you hang with!... :bugeye:WOW. :biggrin:

Why are some of the poll choices in italics? Also, bipolar is misspelled.

ArcanaNoir said:
Why are some of the poll choices in italics?

I think that the italics are the things you voted for.

Also, bipolar is misspelled.

Dangit. :cry:

Why was the thread title changed as it was? I didn't say "affective disorder is synonymous with mental illness".

Here's a suggestion based on what's been said: "Do you have (or suspect that you have) a mental illness?"

Pythagorean said:
I don't think so. I'm pretty detached from society and people, which probably keeps me sane (or is an insanity?)

I wouldn't say its insanity... but it may be a disorder too... have you ever heard about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder" ?

My Road out of Schizophrenia -

http://health-tools.health.msn.com/schizophrenia/my-road-out-of-schizophrenia-a-personal-story-biography"

I think I'd like to change my vote, from other, to none.

You people are all crazy.

SAD seemed liked such a logical disorder. The sun goes away for 8 months, so you should feel, well, sad. People have even written songs about it before it was even a disorder:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tV11acSRk"

Crap! Someone just walked up behind me and said; "Whatcha typin' Om?"

The first thing that came out of my mouth was; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzq5X-p2C0Y"

:blushing:

OmCheeto said:
I think I'd like to change my vote, from other, to none.

You people are all crazy.

From a guy with a lit light bulb in his mouth.

cobalt124 said:
From a guy with a lit light bulb in his mouth.
Ka-zing... :biggrin: thanks cobalt... I needed a laugh...

Rhody...

The Lame Jokes thread is good for that, there's some good jokes hidden in there.

coelho said:
I wouldn't say its insanity... but it may be a disorder too... have you ever heard about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder" ?

Yeah, I actually took a couple psych classes for my degree, one of which was 'abnormal psych'.

I have often noticed I have a schizoid personality type, but I don't think I have the 'disorder' as I don't meet the general criteria for 'disorder' (ie it doesn't cause me significant distress or interfere with my daily life)

I am mad as hatter, hardly a week goes bye without me falling over due to a seizure, i hear voices and my memory is badly effected, the doctor is talking about starting me on lithium
which is not an easy decision as i am all ready over weight
I am not allowed to work due to the seizures, this makes me very unhappy as i miss my work.