Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think Earth will ever end?

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    Have you ever thought Earth would ever end? Recently, in China - SiChun had a major 7.9 earthquake and couple of days later another smaller earthquake occurred. Many families and friends were separated but for the unfortunate majority died. Have you ever thought this could be one of the warnings that Earth would end in the future? What about the 2012? Everyone was talking about 2012 that the Earth will end on that year.

My question to you is do you think Earth will ever end and do you think 2012 is true?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2
    End as in fulfillment of some prophecy? No. Become uninhabitable in some respect for human life as we know it at some time in the infinite future? Yes.

2012 will certainly come and go.
  4. Jun 1, 2008 #3
    The 2012 hype is based on the ending of the Mayan calendar, which in turn seems to be based on the precession of the equinoxes. On 21 December 2012 that cycle appears to be complete and as a direct result the following cycle will begin. The rest is all fantasy and hype because we love to tell about and listen to scary scenarios.
  5. Jun 1, 2008 #4
    If earth will ever end I think is evident. If it will in year 2012 I think is unlikely, but of course I dont really know.
  6. Jun 1, 2008 #5
    When Andromeda and the Milky Way collide, if not before.
  7. Jun 1, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

Andre is correct, the 2012 nonsense is just that, nonsense.

Also if you want the latest prediction of the end of life on earth, that is barring anything out of the ordinary happening before then, read this article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?