Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a limit exist on a graph at (-1,0) if the point

Tags:
  1. Sep 13, 2016 #1
    Does a limit exist on a graph at (-1,0) if the point is solid, and has a right sided limit, but there is nothing left of the point?

I understand that if the left sided limit and the right sided limit are different then it doesnt exist, but on my graph it shows a line coming from the right, stopping at (-1,0). where it stops, there is a solid dot indicating it's continuous (I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong), but the function stops there. There are no points or lines left of (-1,0)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What's the problem? A right sided limit exists, and a left doesn't. The question of continuity from the left simply makes no sense.

4. Sep 13, 2016 #3
    The solid dot does not typically indicate continuity at the point (-1,0), rather, it indicates that the function's domain includes the point -1. On the other hand, a circle that is not solid at a point typically indicates that the function either 1) is not defined at that point or 2) has a discontinuity, i.e. you have to look elsewhere to find what the point is defined as in the function. Does that make sense in the context of the graph in your problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted