Does a square shaped line may have a circle shaped Gauss' surface

In summary: I asked to confirm this solution but solvent had not apply any integration to find the electric field. So I'm not sure whether the solution is correct.
requied
Summary:: For finding the electric field at P in the photo below, may I select a gaussian surface circular?

1590580482138.png

[Mentor Note -- thread moved to the schoolwork forums, so no Homework Template is shown]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may select any surface you please. Gauss's law is valid for any shape of surface. However, this doesn't mean that the electric field is constant on that surface or that it points always perpendicular to the surface.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi, requied and Dale
Yes. Gaussian surfaces may be any closed shape. Cube, sphere, potato, whatever.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi and requied
I asked to confirm this solution but solvent had not apply any integration to find the electric field. So I'm not sure whether the solution is correct.
1590581988965.png

If you want advice on a specific homework problem then you should post that as a new thread in the homework section. We can discuss general principles here, but homework belongs there.

Yeah, I was actually going to ask only the surface rules but I forgot where I am and just continue. Can you transport this thread there? If you can't I will post a new thread then

requied said:
Can you transport this thread there?
Done.

requied said:
I asked to confirm this solution but solvent had not apply any integration to find the electric field. So I'm not sure whether the solution is correct.
View attachment 263573

You appear to not understand the responses that you have received.

While Gauss's law applies in any type of charge configuration, it doesn't mean that it can be easily solvable for all those configuration. It can be solved analytically for what is known as "highly-symmetrical" charge distribution, if you want to find the electric field.

Here, it seems that you don't quite understand how to apply it. You need to keep in mind that you need to construct a gaussian surface in which the E-field crossing the surface is a CONSTANT. This constant can be zero or a non-zero value. And to know that, you need to know the symmetry of the E-field.

In what you have shown, you made an error when you did the integral of E over the closed surface. You took the E field OUT of the integrand, which means that you thought it was a constant over the entire surface. THIS IS WRONG. The electric field is NOT a constant over the spherical surface. It varies over the surface because the electric field from a square line charge is not spherically symmetric. So the mistake here comes in fast and early in your work.

The issue here may be that you do not know the symmetry of various charge configuration, and why you are able to solve highly-symmetric configuration using Gauss's law.

Zz.

Likes berkeman

1. Does a square shaped line have a circle shaped Gauss' surface?

No, a square shaped line does not have a circle shaped Gauss' surface. Gauss' surface is a theoretical concept used in physics to calculate electric flux through a closed surface. It is not limited to any specific shape and can be applied to any closed surface, including a square or a circle.

2. What is Gauss' surface?

Gauss' surface is a theoretical concept used in physics to calculate electric flux through a closed surface. It is a hypothetical surface that is used to simplify the calculation of electric flux in certain situations, such as when dealing with symmetrical electric fields.

3. Can a square shaped line have a Gauss' surface at all?

Yes, a square shaped line can have a Gauss' surface. As mentioned earlier, Gauss' surface is not limited to any specific shape and can be applied to any closed surface. However, the shape and size of the Gauss' surface may vary depending on the situation and the properties of the electric field.

4. How does the shape of a line affect the shape of the Gauss' surface?

The shape of a line does not directly affect the shape of the Gauss' surface. The shape of the Gauss' surface is determined by the properties of the electric field, such as its symmetry and direction. However, the shape of the line can indirectly affect the shape of the Gauss' surface if it is a part of the electric field and contributes to its overall shape.

5. Why is Gauss' surface important in physics?

Gauss' surface is important in physics because it simplifies the calculation of electric flux through a closed surface. It allows us to use mathematical equations and principles to analyze and understand complex electric fields. It is also a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and power systems.