Does "anarchist" have a definition?

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary: It should give you a better idea.In summary, this woman fought for women's rights and also worked closely with the government of her place to establish other rights for people. She is considered an anarchist, but according to my understanding, her ideas do not make sense.
Psinter
I am not even sure anymore of what "anarchist" means. I'm confused to the core right now :confused:. Unnecessary background to explain the why of my question: (You don't need to read it as it makes no difference to my question for which I ask for help)

I ask this question because a Wikipedia article describes a historical woman of my country as an anarchist, but I find the source questionable. I thought an anarchist was someone who found some forms of government unnecessary and unhealthy (harmful for the people), but that woman fought so that women of my country would have the same rights as men to vote. She also worked closely with the past government of my place to establish other kinds of rights for people in general. If my understanding of "anarchist" were to be right, *me thinks* why would she want the women of my country to be able to vote for a government in those times instead of trying to displace that government of the time? It makes no sense to me according to my understanding.

The source itself doesn't even exists anymore. The source was a blog written by a woman of another country. It is an archive and the blog article itself mentions no references for what is written there. It is basically a reference to someone writing an essay without references. I tried to connect their relationship, but found nothing. All I found was that this other woman who wrote that blog which doesn't even exist anymore currently holds a position with considerable power at a government branch of another country.

I really hope my understanding of what an "anarchist" is, is actually wrong, because this is all fuzzy.

Can I get help understanding what "anarchist" means if it is that there is an actual consensus of what it means? Or could it be that this is a term for which there is no consensus for its definition?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has a strict dictionary definition, which is easily looked up, but like many politically charged words, it is applied by various people to whomever they choose to apply it to, regardless of whether or not there would be any general consensus regarding their usage.

Likes russ_watters, Bystander and Psinter
phinds said:
It has a strict dictionary definition, which is easily looked up, but like many politically charged words, it is applied by various people to whomever they choose to apply it to, regardless of whether or not there would be any general consensus regarding their usage.
I see. That certainly explain my observations then. Thank you.

Most probably she was going with the ideas of Proudhon, Bakunin etc. Early labour rights movements and a competitor of communism. Why don't you read the wikipedia article on anarchism?

Likes Ryan_m_b

1. What is the definition of "anarchist"?

Anarchist refers to a person who believes in the abolishment of all forms of government and authority, advocating for a society based on voluntary cooperation and mutual aid.

2. Is anarchism a political ideology or a social movement?

Anarchism can be considered both a political ideology and a social movement. It encompasses a range of beliefs and practices that reject hierarchical systems and promote individual freedom and autonomy.

3. Are all anarchists violent and chaotic?

No, not all anarchists believe in using violence to achieve their goals. While some may advocate for direct action and civil disobedience, the core belief of anarchism is non-hierarchical organization and mutual aid.

4. Can anarchism work in practice?

Anarchism has been practiced in various forms throughout history, such as in indigenous societies and intentional communities. However, its feasibility on a large-scale and in modern society is still debated and remains a topic of ongoing discussion.

5. Are there different types of anarchism?

Yes, there are many different schools of thought within anarchism, including individualist anarchism, social anarchism, and anarchist communism. Each emphasizes different principles and strategies for achieving a stateless and non-hierarchical society.