Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does antimatter have its own sort of properties?

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    If antimatter moves in the direction it was pushed from, is this because it has its own sort of properties such as inertia in regular matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    Antimatter is really not much different from "ordinary" matter in many senses, so it obeys the same laws of physics (such as inertia, as you mentioned). In fact, the only real difference between matter and antimatter is the charge. Electrons (particles that "orbit" the nucleus of ordinary matter's atoms) have negative charge while positrons (the antimatter counterpart of electrons) have positive charge. In turn, protons (positively charged particles that are part of matter's nucleus) are in the case of antimatter replaced by anti-protons (you guessed it, they're negatively charged protons). This however does not affect anything in the large scale. As long as it doesn't collide with matter, an antimatter object would most likely behave identically to a matter one.

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I assume you mean that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the applied force via ##\vec F = m \vec a## with a negative mass m. As far as I know, this is not true. Do you have a source that states otherwise?

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4
    But then how come antimatter moves toward the force that pushes it

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5
    Do you have a source for this (i.e. where you have heard it/read it) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook