Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anybody lose as a result of the student loan changes?

Tags:
  1. Mar 31, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I saw this snippet in a newspaper today:

When I saw this, I didn't feel remorse for the banks. I almost laughed out loud. Then I worried that I was laughing at the suffering of others... Then I remembered that the "others" were banks, and I felt happy again.

Has anyone exhibited similar feelings as a result of the financial crisis?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    Re: Banks

Someday you might want to become a quant, so slower with the schadenfreude.

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that none of the 8000 will be CEOs, they will mostly be customer service people in call centers.
    So when your student loan check doesn't arrive, or your repayments suddenly gained a zero, there won't be anyone to call.

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's never happy that people lose their jobs, unless it's Executive Management that was overpaid and contributed to the company's downfall. Those people should be made to repay their multi-million dollar paychecks and bonuses to the employees that worked diligently despite the idiotic and self-serving decisions upper management made.

6. Mar 31, 2010 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Actually, because of the changes to the student loan system, I can get my loans directly from the government... which, while corrupt, is less likely to raise my rates for no reason than, say, Bank of America.

And I know that none of the employees will be at the top, but when you're killing a plant, you gotta start with the roots, right?

EDIT: I just realized that this statement could be taken as incendiary. Nevertheless, I do sometimes feel like that, that it's worth it that the employees lose their jobs if we can take out the CEOs and Directors. However, that'll never happen legally (they're all obscenely rich) so maybe we could just make them into social pariahs instead. Equate a bank CEO with evil. Hey, it'd be easy; they already seem that way.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook