Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone here use Skype?

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Sorry if there's a thread on this already, but I didn't see one after a quick search.

Does anyone here use Skype? I just got it yesterday and I must say that it's great. I love the little pencil animation in a text chat... but I wanted to know if anyone here used it.

My handle is CharacterLimit, look me up if you want.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Skype

I use yahoo chat. Excellent quality audio and video, lots of features, free, and no software to download. If someone calls you and you don't answer, it will send the recorded voice mail to your e-mail so you can listen. Evo Child was talked into downloading Skype and this is so much better.

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A [subjective] comparison of Skype and Yahoo! (and over 3 yrs old now).

More here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/235572/skype_versus_yahoo_messenger.html?cat=15 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jul 13, 2010 #4

Both yahoo and skype are not portable. Google chat is much better: simple and you can use it whereever you go. It has much better capabilties to search through chat history.

6. Jul 13, 2010 #5

I guess I use a cell phone when I need to call people. If I need to see them I will meet them in person.

Pretty cool stuff.

7. Jul 13, 2010 #6

Evo

All I can say is that sitting side by side in the same room, the Skype call was breaking up and garbled, and yahoo worked perfectly and that was just 3 weeks ago.

Kurdt and I use yahoo chat to talk while sending video and the quality is crystal clear and no lag, AND it has better features! And we're on two different continents.

The main reason I selected yahoo chat is that they also have it embedded in their yahoo mail client so that it is not blocked at work. It also works on my cell phone. So I can use it anywhere.

8. Jul 13, 2010 #7

lol, you know... I agree with this

9. Jul 13, 2010 #8

Evo

I also refused to use Skype when I found out that when you sign up, you agree to allow them to route other people's calls using your pc, and your call goes through others.

Do they still do that?

10. Jul 13, 2010 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't generally route call data - it may route directory lookup.
    There are supernodes which can route traffic, but unless you are one of the few powerfull computers on your countries internet connection and directly on the net (outside a NAT/Router) you aren't going to be a supernode.

The plus side of this is that they don't need a central server routing and logging all your calls.

11. Jul 13, 2010 #10

I use Skype and have to say I'm really happy with it. My best friend lives in Vancouver. I'm a province over to the right of her. I get to see her generally about once a year for a week or so. Sometimes, when stuff is going on, such as people dying or people getting married or pets dying or super-special birthdays, we see each other more than once a year. Sometimes we can't manage that.

Since she gave me a webcam for my birthday a couple of years ago, we can now spend time with each other, talk, catch up, laugh, and show each other stuff, without having to drive 12 hours or spend a few hundred dollars in airfare to do it.

Skype operates smoothly -- graphic wise --, the sound quality is terrific, there's little to no lag in picture transmission, and it conveys the same feeling and emotional connection of getting to spend a few hours in the evening with my friend of 29 years way more than the phone does. You get to see body language, facial expressions, and experience an intimacy from having the majority of the conversational cues you need to really connect with someone conversationally. And we get to see each other. I didn't understand or appreciate the value of "seeing" people until a few years ago, and not I get it entirely.

This is one piece of technology I'm seriously enamoured of. If I can actually get my parents -- who live three provinces to right of me -- onto a computer of their own, I'll get them going on Skype too. That whole "seeing" thing will thrill them, I think so.

12. Jul 14, 2010 #11

Evo

It uses bandwidth from all computers.

Also, this discussion on the Skype forum
    http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=50282 [Broken]

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_25/b3938601.htm [Broken]

yahoo chat does more than skype, it's free, and doesn't share your computer. I really don't like that computer sharing thing. That's why I don't use skype.

13. Jul 14, 2010 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Skype is portable; I have skype on my phone.

That's all well and good when you're at home. But if you travel outside your home country much, you'll know how expensive it is, in general, to roam on cell phones. That is when I use skype.

14. Jul 14, 2010 #13

When I leave the country, I don't bring a cell phone. No one needs to bring their cell phone out of country. If you need to contact someone, use a payphone.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook