Does anyone know about furnaces?

• I
  • Thread starter Xilus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a potential issue with an ancient furnace located near the internet router in the speaker's apartment. It was suggested to move the router to a different location to avoid interference from the furnace, and the possibility of using natural gas to heat the furnace was also mentioned. The speaker also shared their personal experience with placing a new wireless router near metal objects and the instructions for proper placement.
Xilus
my apartment has this ancient furnace.
it either is electric coil or natural gas.

i think its heating oil and pumping it around the building.

could it burn natural gas and just pump hot air through the furnace?

anyway. its slowing down my WiFi.

Physics news on Phys.org
they put the furnace next to the internet router.
100%

Xilus said:
my apartment has this ancient furnace.
Xilus said:
they put the furnace next to the internet router.
100%

100% of what?

I'm not following the timeline. Was an ancient furnace installed adjacent to an existing router? Or was a router installed adjacent to an existing furnace? In either case, if the suspicion is that the furnace is interfering with router WIFI, then move the router elsewhere.

It could be pumping oil water or air.
I can't think how it might interfere with wi fi though, unless it's very thick metal, and exactly positioned so that it's seriously attenuating the wi fi signal.
Can you not relocate the router?

None of this makes any sense, but if you have a landlord, you should be talking to them.

Likes yrjosmiel
AS it happen, I just bought a new wireless router. The instructions were not to place it near large metal objects because it can affect the directional pattern of the antennae. Also the instructions tell you to mount it high up. A furnace is often in the basement - definitely not a good place for a Router. Best site would probably be near the ceiling of the ground floor.

FAQ: Does anyone know about furnaces?

1. What is a furnace?

A furnace is a heating system that uses fuel or electricity to produce heat and distribute it throughout a building or space.

2. How does a furnace work?

A furnace works by burning fuel or using electricity to produce heat, which is then circulated through a system of ducts and vents to warm up the air in a building or space.

3. What are the different types of furnaces?

There are several types of furnaces, including gas, electric, and oil furnaces. There are also different efficiency levels and sizes to choose from.

4. How often should a furnace be serviced?

It is recommended to have your furnace serviced at least once a year by a professional to ensure it is running efficiently and to catch any potential issues before they become major problems.

5. How long do furnaces typically last?

The lifespan of a furnace can vary depending on the type, usage, and maintenance. On average, a gas furnace can last 15-20 years, while an electric furnace can last 20-30 years.