Does anyone know where Earth's gravity stops and space begins?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter fascinated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity Space
In summary, the Earth's gravitational influence is infinite in range, but it becomes weaker the farther you are from the Earth's surface. There is no defined boundary for the Earth's atmosphere, but it is generally considered to end at around 300-400km above the Earth's surface. However, there is no sharp cutoff and it is a matter of definition rather than scientific fact.
fascinated
HI all! Clearly a noob here. The title says it all. I can't seem to find anything. Thanks for any help, folks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
:welcome:

It doesn't. Gravitational influence is infinite ranged as far as we are aware. You can find a surface where the Earth's gravity becomes less than that of the Sun, for example, and define that as the edge of the Earth's influence, but it's fairly arbitrary.

Usually, space is defined more in terms of whether there's atmosphere. The Earth's atmosphere is pretty negligible above 20km, the defined upper edge of the atmosphere is higher - 50k to 100km up, I believe - see Wiki's article.

Likes russ_watters
Ibix said:
:welcome:

It doesn't. Gravitational influence is infinite ranged as far as we are aware. You can find a surface where the Earth's gravity becomes less than that of the Sun, for example, and define that as the edge of the Earth's influence, but it's fairly arbitrary.

Usually, space is defined more in terms of whether there's atmosphere. The Earth's atmosphere is pretty negligible above 20km, the defined upper edge of the atmosphere is higher - 50k to 100km up, I believe - see Wiki's article.
So, does that mean that Earth's atmosphere technically extends to the sun? Even beyond?

• Wow
Likes PeroK
fascinated said:
So, does that mean that Earth's atmosphere technically extends to the sun? Even beyond?

HUH ?

You asked about the Earth's gravity and you were given the correct answer

now you have suddenly switched to Earth's atmosphere
There isn't a defined line boundary of where the atmosphere stops, is slowly dies out at ~ 300 - 400km above the Earth's surface
Google will give better numbersDave

Likes russ_watters
fascinated said:
"The moon flies through Earth's atmosphere,..."
no it doesn't, don't mis-quote the article !
I can see from that article that I wasn't too far out
Earth's atmosphere is about 300 miles (480 kilometres) thick, but most of it is within 10 miles (16 km) the surface.

so that article answers your second Q ... dies out at ~ 480km

Dave

As others said, theoretically Earth's gravity extend to infinity (if the universe is infinite). However it gets weaker and weaker as it extends farther and farther. My rough calculations say that at a distance of 64000km from Earth's center and into space , Earth's gravity becomes only 1% of the strength it has at the surface of earth.
If your next question is going to be, then how come in the international space station, much closer than 64000km, astronauts appear to be weightless, the answer is that they have around 70-80% of the weight they have at the surface of the earth, but their weight acts as centripetal force that keeps them in circular orbit and not as a force that will pull them down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, but I'm still confused, lol.

davenn said:
You asked about the Earth's gravity and you were given the correct answer

Right, because where gravity stops is where our atmosphere ends by definition, no?

davenn said:
There isn't a defined line boundary of where the atmosphere stops, is slowly dies out at ~ 300 - 400km above the Earth's surface
Google will give better numbers
I read the article. It says "about." And google has no better answer that I could find, hence this thread, lol.

davenn said:
no it doesn't, don't mis-quote the article !
I didn't, please.

davenn said:
so that article answers your second Q ... dies out at ~ 480km
Again, it says "about" and I was looking for more. If we don't know, we don't know and that is fine. I am really trying to find out IF we know, if that makes more sense.

Delta2 said:
Earth's gravity becomes only 1%
Right, but I don't care about that. I am interested at the exact point where our atmosphere ends (if this point is known).

Thanks again for the responses and any help here.

fascinated said:
Right, because where gravity stops is where our atmosphere ends by definition, no?
No. Gravity and atmosphere are unrelated - for example the Moon has gravity but no atmosphere.
fascinated said:
Again, it says "about" and I was looking for more. If we don't know, we don't know and that is fine. I am really trying to find out IF we know, if that makes more sense.
The point is that there isn't really a sharp cutoff. It isn't a case of "we don't know", it's a case of "how do you define no atmosphere". There is never a point when you are in perfect vacuum, because there's gas even in interstellar space. That's not the atmosphere, but the exact height at which atmosphere stops and interplanetary medium starts is a matter of definition rather than absolute scientific fact. That's why you see different heights - different people use different definitions.

Likes PeroK
Ibix said:
"how do you define no atmosphere".
I am looking for where the Earth's gravity can no longer affect the particles in our atmosphere or where Newton's 2nd law takes over and equilibrium occurs. I may be defining things incorrectly for which I apologize.

Ibix said:
No. Gravity and atmosphere are unrelated - for example the Moon has gravity but no atmosphere.
The moon has a thin atmosphere.

fascinated said:
I am looking for where the Earth's gravity can no longer affect the particles in our atmosphere or where Newton's 2nd law takes over and equilibrium occurs. I may be defining things incorrectly for which I apologize.
There is no such limit. I'm not sure why you aren't grasping what has been said about how gravity works. Can you state clearly your understanding of this issue for gravity, without considering the atmosphere?

Also, I don't know how you think Newton's 2nd Law applies... or rather why don't think it applies in the atmosphere. Can you explain?

There's probably a limit to where the density and motion of particles is dominated by solar wind. It could be the article answers your question, though: 390,000 miles.

russ_watters said:
There is no such limit. I'm not sure why you aren't grasping what has been said about how gravity works.
If there is no limit, then that would make sense.

russ_watters said:
Can you state clearly your understanding of this issue for gravity, without considering the atmosphere?
Not really as it is gravity that allows us to have an atmosphere to breathe.

russ_watters said:
Also, I don't know how you think Newton's 2nd Law applies... or rather why don't think it applies in the atmosphere. Can you explain?

1591124595613.png

russ_watters said:
It could be the article answers your question, though: 390,000 miles.
I know it could be, but appears there is nothing concrete.

fascinated said:
Not really as it is gravity that allows us to have an atmosphere to breathe.
No, what I mean is, how gravity works for other things besides the atmosphere. For example, can you explain for example how gravity affects spacecraft a long distance from Earth? Once you make sure you have that correct, then you can apply that to the atmosphere.

That picture does not answer my question. [edit] Worse, it seems to lead in a wrong direction if you think it is relevant here...

russ_watters said:
No, what I mean is, how gravity works for other things besides the atmosphere.
The Earth's mass is curving spacetime and everything must follow that line?

russ_watters said:
For example, can you explain for example how gravity affects spacecraft a long distance from Earth?
This is part of what I am examining... or trying to.

russ_watters said:
That picture does not answer my question. [edit] Worse, it seems to lead in a wrong direction if you think it is relevant here...
THIS! Please explain.

fascinated said:
This is part of what I am examining... or trying to.
Then explain! We can't tell you if the idea that you have in your head is right or wrong if you won't tell us what that idea is!

I'll make it very concise: A spacecraft is a million km from Earth and stationary with respect to Earth. It shuts off its engine. What happens?
THIS! Please explain.
You said that picture discusses Newton's 2nd Law. You need to tell me why. I can't explain what you haven't told me! You may as well post a picture of a cat and ask me to explain it.

russ_watters said:
I'll make it very concise: A spacecraft is a million km from Earth and stationary with respect to Earth. It shuts off its engine. What happens?
It follows the curvature of spacetime.

russ_watters said:
You said that picture discusses Newton's 2nd Law. You need to tell me why.
energy has an absolute unfailing tendency to go from "more concentrated" to "less concentrated"
https://www.ftexploring.com/energy/2nd_Law.html

fascinated said:
It follows the curvature of spacetime.
Keep this Newtonian and try again.
energy has an absolute unfailing tendency to go from "more concentrated" to "less concentrated"
https://www.ftexploring.com/energy/2nd_Law.html
That isn't Newton's 2nd Law. So which did you mean? And explain. Use your words.

Likes sophiecentaur
russ_watters said:
Keep this Newtonian and try again.
Never mind, friend. I am looking at this from our current knowledge base. We have not believed in "mass attracting mass" for over a century. Heck, we never did, really.

From the man himself:

Food for thought here...

Tis unconceivable that inanimate brute matter should (without the mediation of something else which is not material) operate upon & affect other matter without mutual contact; as it must if gravitation in the sense of Epicurus be essential & inherent in it. And this is one reason why I desired you would not ascribe {innate} gravity to me. That gravity should be innate inherent & {essential} to matter so that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum without the mediation of any thing else by & through which their action or force {may} be conveyed from one to another is to me so great an absurdity that I believe no man who has in philosophical matters any competent faculty of thinking can ever fall into it...

--Original letter from Isaac Newton to Richard Bentley
http://www.Newtonproject.ox.ac.uk/view/texts/normalized/THEM00258
russ_watters said:
That isn't Newton's 2nd Law.
If that teaching link is wrong, please explain why.

fascinated said:
Never mind, friend. I am looking at this from our current knowledge base.
Evidently you haven't taken any physics in school yet. That's not how it works. Heck, that isn't how NASA works.
If that teaching link is wrong, please explain why.
The link is about the 2nd law of thermodynamics, not Newton's second law of motion.

Im starting to question whether you are really trying to learn anything here or not. You need to put more effort into this if you want help.

russ_watters said:
Evidently you haven't taken any physics in school yet. That's not how it works. Heck, that isn't how NASA works.
Please explain then; this is important.

russ_watters said:
The link is about the 2nd law of thermodynamics, not Newton's second law of motion.

Im starting to question whether you are really trying to learn anything here or not. You need to put more effort into this if you want help.
I know what the link is about and it is EXACTLY what you asked about.

fascinated said:
Please explain then; this is important.
NASA uses Newton's Law of Gravity to navigate spacecraft and if it's good enough for them, it is good enough for this purpose.
I know what the link is about and it is EXACTLY what you asked about.
So...you aren't relating this to Newton's second law?

russ_watters said:
NASA uses Newton's Law of Gravity to navigate spacecraft and if it's good enough for them, it is good enough for this purpose.
I'm looking for something deeper... sorry., but thanks for the interest and help.

russ_watters said:
So...you aren't relating this to Newton's second law?
Read the entire link. It teaches the 2nd law to teachers, lol.

fascinated said:
The Earth's mass is curving spacetime and everything must follow that line?
fascinated said:
I'm looking for something deeper.
from what you have written so far it appears that you may be trying to 'run before you can walk'. You may have read something about and beyond Newtonian Physics but that doesn't imply that you can use terms like "curving spacetime" in a valid way.
If you are telling us that you can do all the (Classical) calculations for a shot at a Moon orbit then I take it all back . . . . .

Likes russ_watters
fascinated said:
I'm looking for something deeper... sorry., but thanks for the interest and help.Read the entire link. It teaches the 2nd law to teachers, lol.
This thread is closed due to your lack of effort. Please feel free to PM me with a sincere and significant attempt to learn and communicate and I will consider re-opening it. If you're interested in that sort of thing.

Likes davenn, jim mcnamara, Nick-stg and 1 other person

1. What is the definition of space?

Space is defined as the three-dimensional extent in which objects and events have relative position and direction.

2. Is there a clear boundary between Earth's gravity and space?

There is no clear boundary between Earth's gravity and space. Gravity is a force that decreases with distance, so it becomes weaker the further away an object is from Earth. However, it never fully disappears and extends infinitely into space.

3. At what altitude does Earth's gravity become negligible?

Earth's gravity is strongest at the surface and gradually decreases as altitude increases. However, it never becomes completely negligible as it extends infinitely into space. At an altitude of about 35786 km above the Earth's surface, known as the geostationary orbit, the gravitational pull is about 90% of what it is at the surface.

4. How does the strength of Earth's gravity compare to other planets?

Earth's gravity is relatively strong compared to other planets in our solar system. It is about 9.8 m/s^2, which is about 2.5 times stronger than the gravity on Mars and about 6 times stronger than the gravity on the Moon. However, it is weaker than the gravity on gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn.

5. Can Earth's gravity affect objects in space?

Yes, Earth's gravity can affect objects in space. Even though the force of gravity decreases with distance, it still has an influence on objects that are far away. This is why the planets in our solar system orbit around the Sun and why the Moon orbits around the Earth.