Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone NOT believe heat death is the final destination?

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    And if not, what do you believe?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think "believe" is the operative term here - the word carries some baggage with it in this context - there are a number of models, any of which may turn out to be better than the others.

The way to bet is that they will all turn out to be wrong. We do not know the ultimate fate of the Universe.

However:
    To answer the question as written: "does anyone not believe..."etc. please see:
    http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_fate.html
    ... the answer is "yes" ... and the article deals out the alternatives that are supported by the evidence in big-bang cosmology.

Note: "I don't know" is a valid answer in science.

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3
    I know you don't know. And I know "believe" is a troublesome word in science.

But I think it's a fair question

5. Nov 17, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and I think it has been fairly answered.
    The link I gave you provides the standard response to the question, and the standard response is really all we are allowed to give considering the ban on presenting personal theories. The evidence so far supports models where the Universe is overall very flat ... draw your own conclusions.

Note: Freeman Dyson presented a famous argument against the heat death.

Rhetorical: why would you expect others to venture an opinion when you don't offer one of your own?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  6. Nov 17, 2014 #5
    I've read the numerous theories numerous times previously.

My own opinion, I venture heat death as overwhelmingly the most likely outcome. Although I'm no physicist to be fair.

That's I was scoping the opinions of others. This being a forum and all

7. Nov 17, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The thing is to support your opinion - give it a go: what is it specifically that leads you to think that heat death is "overwhelmingly the most likely outcome". i.e. how are you assigning likelyhood to the different models? How do you answer Freeman Dyson's famous argument?

As you attempt to answer those questions, you will start to gain a better understanding of how physicists think, and also of the question you have asked and hopefully why you are getting the response I'm giving you.

...being a moderated forum means that there are rules about what sorts of answers we are allowed to give you.

You have already scoped "the opinions of others" - you've "read the numerous theories numerous times previously".
    Opinions are not really very useful in science anyway - so you've done better and looked up the actual physics (I hope).

Mind you ... it may make for a fun poll ;)

8. Nov 17, 2014 #7

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I believe that falsifiability is the proper demarcation.

9. Nov 17, 2014 #8
    I think you're tapping into something that occurs across forums all over the world (or perhaps the Universe).

The principle of having nothing to say and an overwhelming need to say it.

10. Nov 17, 2014 #9

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

That clicking sound you just heard is the sound of a thread closing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook