How can quantum tunneling create Big Bang after heat death?

In summary: After the heat death of the universe, entropy will continue to increase, but with a lower probability. This is because reductions in entropy do occur, but they're less common. A quantum fluctuation or tunneling event that started a new Big Bang would be just such a reduction of entropy.In summary, Wikipedia states that, after he heat death of the universe, "Random quantum fluctuations or quantum tunneling can produce another Big Bang in years."
goat-on-a-stick
Wikipedia states that, after he heat death of the universe: "Random quantum fluctuations or quantum tunneling can produce another Big Bang in
d4700e90b19b9ae1e3f0c49077041a08.png
years."

How would this work?

Likes Miguel Malfabon
Space news on Phys.org
The second law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy always increases, isn't an absolute. The true statement, rather, is that entropy usually increases. Reductions in entropy do occur, but with lower probability. A quantum fluctuation or tunneling event that started a new Big Bang would be just such a reduction of entropy.

Likes Miguel Malfabon, goat-on-a-stick, Justice Hunter and 1 other person
I do not understand, with atoms and particles so far apart, how could they possibly accumulate into enough mass to create a big bang?

Likes Miguel Malfabon
goat-on-a-stick said:
I do not understand, with atoms and particles so far apart, how could they possibly accumulate into enough mass to create a big bang?
The initial seed would be smaller than a proton. You don't need much of any mass (neither mass nor energy are conserved in an expanding universe).

Likes Miguel Malfabon and goat-on-a-stick
Less than a proton! This is totally above my head. Thank you for your help. Do you recommend any webpages or reading materials to help me further understand this theory?

Likes Miguel Malfabon
goat-on-a-stick said:
Less than a proton! This is totally above my head. Thank you for your help. Do you recommend any webpages or reading materials to help me further understand this theory?
I saw a discussion about the origin of the universe on Youtube once, I think it was an Issac Asimov debate, but not sure. From it, my understanding is that tiny pockets of empty space can just form out of the laws of quantum physics, and that the mathematics of general relativity say that completely empty space has an outward pressure and will expand rapidly. Rapidly expanding space is thought to create intense Hawking radiation which fills it with energy.

Chalnoth said:
The initial seed would be smaller than a proton. You don't need much of any mass (neither mass nor energy are conserved in an expanding universe).
I thought that the seed would have exactly zero energy?

Likes Miguel Malfabon and goat-on-a-stick
newjerseyrunner said:
I thought that the seed would have exactly zero energy?
That's not entirely clear. Maybe. It depends a bit upon how you define energy (General Relativity doesn't have an unambiguous definition for total energy, and in a lot of situations it's not even possible to come up with a definition of total energy).

Likes Miguel Malfabon, goat-on-a-stick and newjerseyrunner
Why is heat death significant? I thought that according to the math, this sort of thing is happening everywhere all the time?

Likes Miguel Malfabon

1. How does quantum tunneling work?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome it. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles can exist in multiple states at the same time. In quantum tunneling, there is a small probability that the particle will "tunnel" through the barrier and end up on the other side.

2. Can quantum tunneling really create a Big Bang after heat death?

This is a highly debated topic in the scientific community and there is currently no consensus. While quantum tunneling has been observed in experiments, its application to the creation of a Big Bang after heat death is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven.

3. How does quantum tunneling relate to the heat death of the universe?

The heat death of the universe is a hypothetical scenario in which the universe reaches a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. Quantum tunneling has been proposed as a possible mechanism for creating a new Big Bang in this scenario, as it allows for the possibility of fluctuations and new energy states to arise.

4. Is there any evidence to support the idea of quantum tunneling creating a Big Bang after heat death?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support this idea. However, some theoretical models and calculations have been proposed to explore the possibility. Further research and experimentation are needed to gather more evidence and test the validity of this concept.

5. What are some potential implications of quantum tunneling creating a Big Bang after heat death?

If this idea were to be proven true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would challenge the notion of a linear timeline and the concept of a definitive beginning and end to the universe. It could also provide insights into the nature of energy and the potential for new universes to arise.