Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Bott periodicity imply homotopy equivalences?

1. Aug 13, 2015 #1
    Hello!

Trying to learn some basics of (topological) K-theory and came up with the following question:

From what I can gather, we can define (complex, topological) K-theory as [itex] K^n(X) = [X, B^n Gr^\infty(m)] [/itex] with m going to infinity (indeed for m large enough, the answer is independent of it) and where B is taking the classifying space (this means: for any topological space X, we define BX such that [itex] \Omega (B X) = X[/itex] where [itex]\Omega[/itex] takes the loop space).

Let me know if so far I have made a mistake. As an illustration this tells us [itex]K^0(X) = [X,Gr^\infty] [/itex] (where I have implicitly taken the limit [itex]m \to \infty[/itex]) which indeed classifies vector bundles on X up to (stable) isomorphism/equivalence.

So Bott periodicity tells us [itex]K^n(X) \cong K^{n+2}(X)[/itex]. In other words it tells us [itex] [X, B^n Gr^\infty] \cong [X, B^{n+2} Gr^\infty] [/itex]. My question is: have I made a mistake, or does Bott periodicity imply

[tex]\boxed{ B^n Gr^\infty \simeq B^{n+2} Gr^\infty} \;?[/tex]

To focus on a specific example, let's take n = -1. Then this would tell us that the classifying space of the infinite Grassmannian is homotopic to U(n) (for n large enough). Is this true?...

EDIT: It seems wikipedia agrees with the above bold statements. However, not completely. For example it implies that in fact [itex] B^2 Gr^\infty \simeq \mathbb Z \times Gr^\infty [/itex]. This seems weird, as I wouldn't expect [itex] [X, Gr^\infty ] \cong [X, \mathbb Z \times Gr^\infty ][/itex] ... Do we have to take reduced cohomology/mod out by something to make it all work, or does it work like this anyway and do I just fail to see it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2015 #2
    Aha, I have realized the answer. The key point is that [itex] [X,Y] \cong [X,Y \times \mathbb Z] [/itex] since in these contexts we are looking at *base point preserving* maps, which are insensitive to the number of disconnected components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook