Does Cl2 + KH > KCl + HCl?

• Thread starter ProjectFringe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl Kcl
Does anyone happen to know if Cl2+KH > KCl + HCl?

And if it does, what is the reasoning? Is it because Cl2 prefers an ionic bond rather than a covalent bond?

Answers and Replies

Does anyone happen to know if Cl2+KH > KCl + HCl?

And if it does, what is the reasoning? Is it because Cl2 prefers an ionic bond rather than a covalent bond?
KH is pyrophoric in air. You should also get a violent oxidation reaction with chlorine gas.

Likes ProjectFringe
KH is pyrophoric in air. You should also get a violent oxidation reaction with chlorine gas.
I mean HCl the gas, not Hydrochloric Acid, so there is no oxygen present in this reaction (if I understand your response correctly).

I mean HCl the gas, not Hydrochloric Acid, so there is no oxygen present in this reaction (if I understand your response correctly).
An oxidizer is a substance that can accept electrons from other substances. This includes Chlorine molecules Cl2 ,that can take 2 electrons to make Cl-.

• Informative
Likes ProjectFringe
An oxidizer is a substance that can accept electrons from other substances. This includes Chlorine molecules Cl2 ,that can take 2 electrons to make Cl-.
Got it! :biggrin:

So, if I understand correctly you are saying that there will most likely be a reaction between Cl2 and HK, which will produce HCl and KCl?

Suggested for: Does Cl2 + KH > KCl + HCl?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views