Does the Reaction of Cl2 and KH Produce KCl and HCl?

• Thread starter ProjectFringe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl Kcl
In summary, there is a possibility that Cl2+KH will produce a reaction resulting in the formation of HCl and KCl, due to the preference of Cl2 for an ionic bond. However, it is important to note that KH is pyrophoric in air and can also cause a violent oxidation reaction with chlorine gas. Additionally, HCl gas (not Hydrochloric Acid) will be produced in this reaction, without the presence of oxygen. This is because Cl2 is an oxidizing agent and can accept electrons from other substances to form Cl-. Overall, it is likely that a reaction will occur between Cl2 and KH, resulting in the formation of HCl and KCl. The compound mentioned in the source provided for H
ProjectFringe
Does anyone happen to know if Cl2+KH > KCl + HCl?

And if it does, what is the reasoning? Is it because Cl2 prefers an ionic bond rather than a covalent bond?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ProjectFringe said:
Does anyone happen to know if Cl2+KH > KCl + HCl?

And if it does, what is the reasoning? Is it because Cl2 prefers an ionic bond rather than a covalent bond?
KH is pyrophoric in air. You should also get a violent oxidation reaction with chlorine gas.

Likes ProjectFringe
willem2 said:
KH is pyrophoric in air. You should also get a violent oxidation reaction with chlorine gas.
I mean HCl the gas, not Hydrochloric Acid, so there is no oxygen present in this reaction (if I understand your response correctly).

ProjectFringe said:
I mean HCl the gas, not Hydrochloric Acid, so there is no oxygen present in this reaction (if I understand your response correctly).
An oxidizer is a substance that can accept electrons from other substances. This includes Chlorine molecules Cl2 ,that can take 2 electrons to make Cl-.

• Informative
Likes ProjectFringe
willem2 said:
An oxidizer is a substance that can accept electrons from other substances. This includes Chlorine molecules Cl2 ,that can take 2 electrons to make Cl-.
Got it! :biggrin:

So, if I understand correctly you are saying that there will most likely be a reaction between Cl2 and HK, which will produce HCl and KCl?

1. What is the chemical equation for Cl2 + KH > KCl + HCl?

The chemical equation for this reaction is Cl2 + 2KH > 2KCl + H2.

2. Is this reaction balanced?

Yes, this reaction is balanced as there are equal numbers of each element on both sides of the equation.

3. What type of reaction is Cl2 + KH > KCl + HCl?

This is a single displacement reaction, also known as a single replacement reaction.

4. What are the products of this reaction?

The products of this reaction are KCl and HCl.

5. What are the reactants of this reaction?

The reactants of this reaction are Cl2 and KH.