Does engineering pay off? Apart from the money

In summary, the speaker is uncertain about their desired major and career path, initially leaning towards computer science and programming but then becoming interested in IC and processor design. However, they are hesitant about sacrificing their free time for a demanding college experience and potentially a taxing career. They want a career that fully utilizes their potential and are willing to consider other fields if necessary. They have also heard mixed responses about the workload and lifestyle of an engineering job. In terms of college, they believe that good time-management and study skills can help balance a busy schedule and still allow for relaxation. The speaker acknowledges that the demands of their career may vary depending on the industry they choose.
Timb0Slice
I have become completely indecisive on what exact major/career I want to go in to. Originally it was all programming and Computer Science. After a whole course of C++ coding, I fell out of love with it. Then I wanted to work on the physical components of a computer, designing processors and motherboards, etc. IC design, and processor design sound like amazingly fun jobs to me. Those are still things I want to do, however I don't want to sacrifice too much for it.

COLLEGE: It sounds like I will be giving up almost any free time. I'll be spending most of my nights studying, working on projects through the night, and just being completely dedicated to the studies. I'm reasonably smart, I love math, and I love figuring things out. However, I do not want to give up the best part of my life if I'm going to regret it.

CAREER: I have heard mixed responses. Some people saying being an actual engineer is extremely time consuming and hard work for well over 40 hours a week, and borderline misery. Others say it's very casual, you work in groups to figure things out, you make your own time schedule, and work from home when you please.

I want to have a career that utilizes my entire potential, I don't want to settle for a "business major" or a "psychology major" like I feel most people do. But if I'm going to be spending my college weekends suffering through linear algebra and discrete mathematics, or not being able to stop and enjoy life while working an engineering job, I'm willing to consider another field.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't speak on the career, but I can speak on the college. If you have good time-management skills, good study skills, and a reasonable talent in math and problem solving, then I guarantee you won't be some kind of cave dweller devoid of human contact. You may have busy semesters, but you do make some good friends, as you all have common enemies (projects, lab reports, exams). In my experience, even the most stressed out and busy people I know tend to have a remarkable ability to find time to relax. Humans like relaxing, after all, and we'll find a way to do it one way or another eventually.

I'm sure your career question is highly dependent on which industry you want to go into.

1. What are the non-monetary benefits of pursuing a career in engineering?

Engineering offers numerous non-monetary benefits, such as job satisfaction, intellectual fulfillment, and the opportunity to make a positive impact on society. Engineers also have the chance to work on cutting-edge technology and collaborate with other professionals in diverse fields.

2. Is engineering a stable career choice?

Yes, engineering is a highly stable career choice. The demand for engineers is expected to continue to grow in the coming years, especially in fields such as renewable energy, biotechnology, and computer science. Additionally, engineering skills are transferable to various industries, providing job security even in times of economic downturns.

3. What skills are essential for success in the engineering field?

Some essential skills for success in engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, and technical expertise. Additionally, effective communication, teamwork, and adaptability are crucial for working on complex projects and collaborating with others.

4. Are there opportunities for career advancement in engineering?

Yes, there are numerous opportunities for career advancement in engineering. With experience and further education, engineers can move up into leadership positions, such as project managers, department heads, or even company executives. Engineers can also specialize in a specific area of engineering to advance their career.

5. How does engineering contribute to society?

Engineering plays a vital role in society by solving complex problems and improving the quality of life for individuals and communities. Engineers design and create solutions for issues such as healthcare, transportation, infrastructure, and environmental sustainability. They also contribute to technological advancements that benefit society as a whole.