1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does height affect the constant of proportionality?

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does height affect the constant of proportionality?

'k'

2. Relevant equations

no relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't think it does but I'm not sure why though.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I don't understand... is k a spring constant?

4. Aug 26, 2007 #3
    hookes law.

5. Aug 26, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

k is constant within a certain range of stretching... beyond that the spring is damaged and doesn't work as Hooke's law predicts...

height doesn't affect it.

6. Aug 26, 2007 #5
    hmmm. but in the example they use falling objects...not springs. thats what I'm stuck on.

7. Aug 26, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

But Hooke's law is for springs. For falling objects, you probably don't need Hooke's law... unless I'm misunderstanding something.

8. Aug 26, 2007 #7
    ahhh. sorry what i said about hookes law. for falling objects, it stays constant since it is the acceleration. is this correct?

9. Aug 26, 2007 #8

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Well, acceleration is approximated to g close to the earth... technically it does change with height... but for most gravity/falling object problems (where we aren't dealing with astronomical distances), it is taken as constant = g = 9.8m/s^2

10. Aug 26, 2007 #9
    oh wait! sorry i misunderstood the problem! k is the constant of proportionality for the DRAG. so air resistance. but it still doesn't change does it?

11. Aug 26, 2007 #10
    oh wait! sorry i misunderstood the problem! k is the constant of proportionality for the DRAG. so air resistance. but it still doesn't change does it?

12. Aug 26, 2007 #11

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I don't think so... if the question gives it as a constant, then don't worry about it changing...

13. Aug 26, 2007 #12
    okay. thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?