Does height affect the constant of proportionality?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not height affects the constant of proportionality, represented as 'k'. The conversation concludes that for falling objects, the constant stays constant because it represents the acceleration, which is approximated as constant near the earth. However, for problems involving drag, which is represented by the constant 'k', it is also assumed to stay constant.
mwahx3

Homework Statement

Does height affect the constant of proportionality?

'k'

Homework Equations

no relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think it does but I'm not sure why though.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand... is k a spring constant?

hookes law.

mwahx3 said:
hookes law.

k is constant within a certain range of stretching... beyond that the spring is damaged and doesn't work as Hooke's law predicts...

height doesn't affect it.

hmmm. but in the example they use falling objects...not springs. that's what I'm stuck on.

mwahx3 said:
hmmm. but in the example they use falling objects...not springs. that's what I'm stuck on.

But Hooke's law is for springs. For falling objects, you probably don't need Hooke's law... unless I'm misunderstanding something.

ahhh. sorry what i said about hookes law. for falling objects, it stays constant since it is the acceleration. is this correct?

mwahx3 said:
ahhh. sorry what i said about hookes law. for falling objects, it stays constant since it is the acceleration. is this correct?

Well, acceleration is approximated to g close to the earth... technically it does change with height... but for most gravity/falling object problems (where we aren't dealing with astronomical distances), it is taken as constant = g = 9.8m/s^2

oh wait! sorry i misunderstood the problem! k is the constant of proportionality for the DRAG. so air resistance. but it still doesn't change does it?

oh wait! sorry i misunderstood the problem! k is the constant of proportionality for the DRAG. so air resistance. but it still doesn't change does it?

mwahx3 said:

I don't think so... if the question gives it as a constant, then don't worry about it changing...

okay. thank you.

1. Does being taller mean one will have a higher constant of proportionality?

There is no direct correlation between height and the constant of proportionality. Other factors, such as genetics and lifestyle, can also affect this constant.

2. Is there a specific height range that affects the constant of proportionality?

No, there is no specific height range that has been scientifically proven to affect the constant of proportionality. However, taller individuals may have a different constant than shorter individuals due to differences in body composition and metabolism.

3. Can height affect the constant of proportionality in different fields of science?

The constant of proportionality can vary depending on the specific field of science being studied. While height may have an impact in certain fields, it is not a determining factor for the constant of proportionality.

4. Is there a difference in the constant of proportionality between genders when it comes to height?

Studies have shown that there is no significant difference in the constant of proportionality between males and females when it comes to height. Other factors, such as muscle mass and body composition, may have a greater impact.

5. Can the constant of proportionality change if a person's height changes?

The constant of proportionality is a mathematical value that remains constant regardless of height changes. However, changes in height may affect other factors that can indirectly impact the constant of proportionality, such as body composition and metabolism.