Initial Position Discrepancy Involving Fluid Resistance

In summary, the rock in the simple projectile motion case starts from a lower position and experiences a greater drag than in the case with fluid resistance proportional to v.
TRB8985
Homework Statement
A small rock moves in water and the force exerted on it by the water is given by f = kv.

The terminal speed of the rock is 2.00 m/s, and the rock is projected upward at an initial speed of 6.00 m/s. Ignore the bouyancy force on the rock.

a.) Without fluid resistance, how high will the rock rise & how long does it take to reach this maximum height?

b.) When fluid resistance is included, what are the answers to the question in part (a)?
Relevant Equations
1.) f = kv

2.) v_y(t) = v_t * (1 - exp(-kt/m)) + v_0(exp(-kt/m))

3.) y(t) = v_t*t + m/k*exp(-kt/m)*(v_t - v_0)
Good evening,

I have a question on the problem I've provided in the homework statement. Essentially, the problem is asking us to compare the maximum height and time to max-height between a simple projectile motion case vs. a case using fluid resistance proportional to v. I've solved everything correctly and my answers match the solution in the back of my book, but there's something odd I can't seem to wrap my head around.

In the simple projectile motion case with no fluid resistance, the rock starts at y = 0 and climbs to a maximum height of 1.84m in 0.612 seconds using basic kinematics equations. No problem there.

When fluid resistance is involved, I integrated the 2nd equation to get the 3rd, using t = 0 to the time of max-height of 0.283s. The details involving that process aren't too important here since it's correct, but this is what I found a little confusing:

At t = 0 using equation 3, I get an initial starting point of y = 1.63m. (Positive, because in part B I set the downward direction to +y)

Is there a reason that the rock is displaced 1.63m away from y = 0 when fluid resistance is included at the beginning time? Seems a little strange that the rocks wouldn't both start at y = 0. Instead, when fluid resistance turns on, the rock starts from a much lower position despite not having any time to move compared to the basic projectile motion version.

Hopefully that makes sense. Thank you for your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
TRB8985 said:
I integrated the 2nd equation to get the 3rd
… but forgot to allow an integration constant.

Likes TRB8985
haruspex said:
… but forgot to allow an integration constant.
Oh! That actually makes sense. Looks like our book answer was missing that portion.

Thank you!

TRB8985 said:
Oh! That actually makes sense. Looks like our book answer was missing that portion.

Thank you!
Btw, it is unclear how you got the 2nd equation. You cannot in general treat horizontal and vertical independently in drag calculations, but it happens to work out ok in the case of linear drag. I'd like to see exactly what you did.

Sure, be happy to share if you're interested in seeing. As far as I'm aware, this should be a fluid resistance problem that's entirely in the vertical direction.

Regarding the 2nd equation, that actually came from an earlier problem where we had to derive an expression for a falling object with an initial downward velocity of v_0 experiencing the same kind of drag proportional to v.

It's a bit of work to write all out, but here's the jist:

1.) Started with the FBD in the y-direction (+y downward). Had the following: W - kv = ma

2.) Exchanged a with dv/dt (or rather, dv/dt' since I was integrating from 0 to t and didn't want the integration variable to be the same as the variable in the integration limit).

3.) Exchanged W with mg, and divided both sides by k.

4.) Replaced mg/k with a variable to represent the terminal velocity, v_t.

5.) Isolated dv/dt' on the RHS and used separation of variables, resulting in the following:

k/m * dt' = dv / (v_t - t)

6.) Integrated the LHS from 0 to t, and the RHS from v_0 to the final velocity in the y-direction, v_y.

7.) Resulted in the following after a couple steps of algebra:

-kt/m = ln( v_t - v_y / v_t - v_0 )

8.) Took the exponential of both sides to crack open the natural logarithm and multiplied both sides by (v_t - v_0).

9.) Couple steps of algebra later, got the following:

v_y = v_t - v_t * exp(-kt/m) + v_0*exp(-kt/m)

10.) Factored the v_t terms together to resulting in equation #2. This also matched our book's answer, so I felt pretty confident about that process.

Hopefully that wasn't too brief!

TRB8985 said:
Sure, be happy to share if you're interested in seeing. As far as I'm aware, this should be a fluid resistance problem that's entirely in the vertical direction.
Sorry, for some reason I thought the water was flowing, making for a horizontal motion too. But thanks for posting anyway. It makes the thread more useful to others.

1. What is initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance?

Initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance is a phenomenon in fluid mechanics where the initial position of a body in a fluid medium is different from its expected starting position due to the resistance of the fluid. This can occur in various scenarios, such as when a body is dropped into a fluid or when a fluid is injected into a confined space.

2. What causes initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance?

The main cause of initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance is the drag force exerted by the fluid on the body. This drag force is a result of the body's movement through the fluid and is dependent on factors such as the body's shape, size, and velocity, as well as the properties of the fluid, such as its density and viscosity.

3. How does initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance affect the motion of a body?

Initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance can significantly affect the motion of a body in a fluid medium. It can cause the body to deviate from its expected trajectory and experience a change in velocity and acceleration. This can result in a longer or shorter travel distance, a change in direction, or even a complete halt of the body's motion.

4. Can initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance be predicted or calculated?

Yes, initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance can be predicted or calculated using various mathematical models and equations. These models take into account the properties of the body and the fluid, as well as the initial conditions, to determine the expected position of the body in the fluid. However, due to the complex nature of fluid dynamics, the calculations may not always be accurate.

5. How can initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance be minimized or eliminated?

To minimize or eliminate initial position discrepancy involving fluid resistance, various techniques can be employed. These include using streamlined bodies to reduce drag, increasing the velocity of the body to overcome the drag force, and using lubricants or other substances to reduce the viscosity of the fluid. Additionally, conducting experiments and simulations can help to better understand and predict the effects of fluid resistance on the initial position of a body.