Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does ''Higgs sector'' mean there are many Higgs particle types?

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Please teach me this:
    Does ''Higgs sector'' mean there are many Higgs particle types?Does custodial SU(2) symmetry using mean maybe there is a theory of electroweak interaction more complex than theory of single Higgs scalar?
    Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2
    I mean there may be many type of Higgs boson in the theory of electroweak interaction because they say '' Higgs sector''.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are models with multiple Higgs bosons (most notably supersymmetry), but I heard the term "Higgs sector" for the model with just one Higgs particle, too. The model of EW symmetry breaking is complex enough to call that part "Higgs sector".

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4
    Please tell me more some details of the role of custodial symmetry(SU(2)) in Standard Model extent.

6. Apr 3, 2012 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you look for an introduction to the Higgs mechanism, read a book or lecture script.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook