Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Hydrogen's one electron spin?

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    Elements with multiple electrons seem to push themselves around the nucleus due to their polar resistance with other electrons.. So in theory, with no other electrons to push into, could hydrogen's one electron be stationary

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2
    Nope, you still have those pesky "smears", and electrons can't be localized, never mind made stationary. I think you're mixing Classical E&M with the QM view, but there are brighter minds here with far more knowledge, and I am not a physicist.

BTW, Welcome to PF!

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    Thanks, and yeah i guess your right. Im going to rephrase: Does electron spin occur purely due to quarks? If so, how?

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4
    ^^^actually i dont think thats a good question either. Ugh i need to look back into this.

6. Apr 15, 2010 #5
    What kind of spin are you thinking of? Intrinsic spin, in the quantum sense, I'm assuming, right?

As for how quarks contribute to this, it's definitely not a settled issue. It may be that the interaction of the 3 quarks which form Fermions is all that is needed, but there are theories which include surrounding quarks and gluon field. I don't believe there is a single answer, beyond the notion that this is an intrinsic quality that has no 100% Classical analogy.

This is probably more helpful than I can be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Apr 15, 2010 #6
    No, that's a VERY good question, it's just not one with an answer yet. I think if you do a bit of reading on this, you're going to find it somewhat intuitive. Most people struggle with the notion of probablistic "smears", but you took that in stride. I would also add again, that I am no expert, but here to learn as well. Given a bit of time, an advisor will probably add their 2 cents, which is worth significantly more than mine! :smile:

8. Apr 15, 2010 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Electrons aren't made of quarks. Hadrons (protons, neutrons, pions, etc.) are made of quarks.

Electrons are leptons, which also includes muons, taus, and neutrinos. As far as we know, leptons are indivisible fundamental particles, just like quarks are.

9. Apr 16, 2010 #8
  10. Apr 16, 2010 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

"Theorethical brocken pieces" :rolleyes:

11. Apr 16, 2010 #10
    Yeah, it turns out that my head can spin too, given the proper motivation. Did you notice that it's been the definitive answer for TWO YEARS?!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook