1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does it matter from where I get my bachelors?

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    I'm currently in Highschool and I'm working on my associate of physics, and I was thinking of getting my bachelors before graduating from Highschool. Will it matter, when applying for grad school, where I got my bachelors from? I just wanted to know if the top universities care from where you got your bachelors when applying for them.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not completely sure I understand your circumstances. If you get a bachelor's degree from a high school, then yes, you will have a hard time getting into graduate school.

4. Jun 28, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to get a bachelor's degree in physics, why are you wasting your time in high school? Is it because you get to date younger chicks?

5. Jun 28, 2013 #4
    No I'm actually a freshman, I'm in 9th grade but my high school has a program where you can take college classes at the same time and so I'm going to be taking classes from a university in Texas and so I was wondering will it matter if I get it from here or should I try to graduate early and go somewhere else to get my bachelors?

6. Jun 28, 2013 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Not all schools in Texas are equal.

7. Jun 28, 2013 #6
    It would be in utpa, but do universities actually care from where you get it, will it help me get accepted in grad school if a get a bachelors from a better university?

8. Jun 28, 2013 #7
    I want to ask you a question.
    why the rush?
    wait till you graduate high school and then go college ,going early suck.
    btw ,20 years old is the best age for the freshman year.

9. Jun 28, 2013 #8

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It can definitely matter, other things matter too. For grad school applications going to a well regarded school can help. It is complicated though as different grad school have different preferences. Even though devices like competitiveness index are used it can be difficult to rank students from different schools. It is also important to remember your choice of college will effect where you live, what you do, and who you meet. All of which can affect grad school applications as well as life in general. A happy student at school that suits them will generally have a better change than one who is miserable. Irregardless admissions you will want to choose a place you can afford, enjoy, and benefit from. Some people I know managed to get into grad school, but were ill-prepared or vice versa. It is also important to make the best of whatever happens. Wikipedias says "UTPA ranked as the 2nd most affordable school in the nation." that sounds good but there are many factors to consider.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  10. Jun 28, 2013 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds like Sheldon Cooper redux, but I think by the time Sheldon was old enough to be a freshman in HS he already had graduated from college (summa cum laude, I believe).

So, buck up, rlealc, there's no sense in lazing about. Taking it easy never got anyone anywhere.

11. Jun 28, 2013 #10
    I would just try to graduate HS early.

12. Jun 28, 2013 #11
    I wasn't smart enough to graduate that early, or early at all, but while I was in grad school, there were 3 kids in the program who were very young (15-16ish years old).

One was from Caltech, one was from UC Irvine, and one was from somewhere else; I don't know. Two of them left school after about 2 years. I felt bad for them. They were 18 or 19, interested in the things that 18 year old kids are interested in, while everyone they interacted with was a grumpy 25 year old who was jaded, hung out in the grad school bar, etc. It wasn't a good social scene for them to be in, in my honest opinion.

Frankly, college was a blast. I'm glad I spent the years there that I did. I'm also glad I wasn't 16 at the start of graduate school.

13. Jun 28, 2013 #12
    that's exactly what I am talking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook