1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does it matter where I get my degree?

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    Hi forum,

I am a high school student who has recently been accepted to the University of Western Ontario. (UWO) My primary goal was to study pure maths at University of Waterloo and go to investment banking after Masters or Ph.D.

I have been exploring the UWO's website and soon got interested UWO's Business-Science double degree programme. Then I asked myself 'why not get a double degree in business and mathematics at UWO and work for IB firms for two years, pay for my debts and go to graduate school?'

But my concern is, it seems like UWO does not have a strong maths department as Waterloo.

However, I want to study abstract algebra at graduate school, and I highly doubt that abstract algebra is a quantitative discipline, so finance recruiters might not like that

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2
    Why would you tie yourself down to abstract algebra when you don't know what it's about?

It's like saying you don't like blondes when you've only ever seen brunettes...or no women at all. ;)

4. Mar 13, 2012 #3
    Yes, I do realise that it is too early to narrow it down. I may change my mind, get interested in differential equations or statistics, and pursue it further. In that case, I wouldn't worry about getting a job in finance. But now I am considering any possibility that is likely to happen in my future.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. Mar 13, 2012 #4
    Good luck with that. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook