Does it matter where I take math courses at?

In summary: This is something you cannot "skip" and expect to pass. So make sure you are aware of the concepts and learn everything. You might be surprised how much you don't know.In summary, community colleges offer calculus courses that are equivalent to university courses. If you have good math skills from your community college, you will be fine taking calculus at a university. Just make sure you are aware of any gaps in your knowledge and study everything to make sure you are ready for the next course.
KamenRiderTorbjorn
I guess you can say I’m a long way from complete an engineering degree cause I haven’t even taken trig or calculus. With that being said I was wondering is it better to take calculus at a community college rather than a university? Reason I'm asking is because I heard this from other people I've spoken. I plan on going into either EE or Computer Engineering and want to know what’s the better option when it comes to taking math classes.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as your math transfers from your community college to your university you should be just fine. Just focus on getting a high grade in your math classes.

Drakkith said:
As long as your math transfers from your community college to your university you should be just fine. Just focus on getting a high grade in your math classes.
Does the same go for Chem and physics?

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
Does the same go for Chem and physics?

Probably. What you'd need to really know is how the two schools compare. Unless your community college is very low-quality and your university very high-quality, you should be just fine. I'd do whatever is easier or cheaper for you unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

I highly recommend talking to advisers at both schools to make sure everything will transfer over correctly. My community college actually had an arrangement with the local university that allowed students to take a specific program at the CC and have everything transfer over to the university as if you had taken these classes at the university. Or something like that. I just know it made things a little easier/less complicated to transfer.

I believe the sooner you get the math, the better. It will make it far easier to do the physics or engineering if you have "digested" the appropriate math first.

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I was wondering is it better to take calculus at a community college rather than a university?
I don't think it matters. The first 2 years of calculus are pretty standardized. However, stay away from courses that try to make it easier than normal. You absolutely will need to understand calculus in the future. "Math for poets" is only good for poets, if anyone. Any gaps in understanding at this level will cause your future courses to be a lot harder.

DaveE said:
You absolutely will need to understand calculus in the future. "Math for poets" is only good for poets, if anyone.

Oh, how wonderful and amazing the derivative!
It's really the finest, so superlative!
Input to output, how is it sensitive?
It's even a function, what can't it give?!

Likes NotGauss and anorlunda
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I guess you can say I’m a long way from complete an engineering degree cause I haven’t even taken trig or calculus. With that being said I was wondering is it better to take calculus at a community college rather than a university? Reason I'm asking is because I heard this from other people I've spoken. I plan on going into either EE or Computer Engineering and want to know what’s the better option when it comes to taking math classes.
No.. Not important where you study the Mathematics courses. What you need to watch for is identify any gaps between the courses at your c.c. and the courses at your university. Professors will not review something you missed in previous courses for you. This also goes for any Mathematics course sequences IN the department at the school you attend. If MATH xyz, the professor or teacher ran short on time and did not cover a topic or lesson, then YOU WILL STILL NEED that topic or skill when you enroll to study in the following course MATH xyz+1.

1. How important is it to take math courses at a specific institution?

The institution where you take math courses can have an impact on your overall learning experience, but it is not the only factor that determines your success in math. It is more important to focus on finding a course that fits your learning style and offers a strong curriculum.

2. Will taking math courses at a prestigious university make a difference?

While attending a prestigious university may provide access to more resources and opportunities, the quality of your education ultimately depends on your effort and dedication. It is possible to receive a high-quality math education at any institution, regardless of its reputation.

3. Are there any benefits to taking math courses at a community college?

Community colleges can offer smaller class sizes and more personalized instruction, which can be beneficial for students who struggle with math. Additionally, community colleges often have transfer agreements with four-year universities, making it easier to continue your education at a different institution.

4. Will taking math courses online have a negative impact on my learning?

Taking math courses online can be a convenient option for some students, but it may not be the best choice for everyone. It is important to carefully research the online program and ensure that it is accredited and offers a comprehensive curriculum. Additionally, online courses require a high level of self-motivation and discipline to be successful.

5. Can I still be successful in math if I don't have access to advanced courses?

While taking advanced math courses can be beneficial, it is not necessary for everyone. It is more important to focus on mastering the fundamentals and building a strong foundation in math. With dedication and hard work, you can still excel in math even without access to advanced courses.