Did it matter where you went to undergrad? Does it matter, on average?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's concerns about staying at their current university for their undergraduate education. They inquire about the impact of attending a less competitive school on their future employment prospects and the differences in curricula between universities. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to supplement their education through self-learning and the reminder that practical skills and research experience are more important than grades. It is also mentioned that the choice of university may affect opportunities for research and graduate school.
L'Arrogant
As a student, I constantly think about the program I'm in. I'm an undergrad right now attending a school that's, while private and well funded, not much in rank. It is big, though.

I'm also enrolled in a pretty competitive liberal arts college. I'm actually matric there, but not attending for reasons that don't really have much to do with academics.

My question for you all: as people who have no doubt attended a variety of schools, am I going to miss out by staying where I am? Not necessarily whether a good gpa from a less competitive school is going to look worse to some future employer, but are there remarkable differences between curricula?

From what I hear, certain universities try to weed out, even intimidate students, while others are far too lax, inflating grades and ignoring material. From what I see, it's a good deal more complicated.

There is certainly a marked difference in student bodies, but I've heard time and time again that professors know their stuff in almost all cases, mostly because in math and physics the things taught at an undergrad level are often pretty trivial. Is this true? It seems to me that even very simple ideas can be delicate, and most importantly fundamental.

These seem kind of like annoying questions to ask when I see them written, but as a student I'm disoriented.

Physics news on Phys.org
L'Arrogant said:
These seem kind of like annoying questions to ask when I see them written, but as a student I'm disoriented.

It doesn't matter as much as some people will make out. If you're worried about differences/lacking in curricula, then why not do some work on your own outside of classes? When you graduate, things become less about what grade you got in a class and more about whether or not you actually know how to do the math.

For whom are you asking your undergrad will matter for? If your college doesn't have the classes you need and your research interests then it will matter where you are going. For getting into grad school you will need to find a professor or two to advise you, do research with, and hopefully get a recommendation from. So yes it does matter, but most colleges have these things.

1. Did it matter where you went to undergrad?

Yes, where you went to undergrad can have an impact on your future career opportunities and earning potential.

2. Does it matter, on average, where you went to undergrad?

On average, the reputation and resources of the university you attended can play a role in your post-graduation success.

3. Are there certain majors or fields where the undergrad institution matters more?

In certain competitive fields such as law, finance, or consulting, the prestige of your undergraduate institution may hold more weight.

4. Is it worth paying more for a higher ranked or more prestigious undergrad institution?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and financial situation. While a prestigious university may open doors and provide valuable networking opportunities, it may not be worth the financial burden for some individuals.

5. Can you still be successful if you didn't attend a highly ranked undergrad institution?

Absolutely. While attending a prestigious university may provide some advantages, success ultimately depends on an individual's hard work, skills, and determination.