1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does least squares solution to Ax=b depend on choice of norm

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    To find the closest point to [itex]b[/itex] in the space spanned by the columns of [itex]A[/itex] we have:
    [tex]\mathbb{\hat{x}}=(A^TA)^{-1}A^T\mathbb{b}[/tex]
    My question is, shouldn't this solution ##\hat{x}## depend on the choice of distance function over the vector space? Choosing two different distance functions might give two different ##\hat{x}##s. But this equation does not make any reference to the choice of distance function.

Can anyone explain this to me? This is not directly a homework question but I am just trying to get a better understanding of the concepts here.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If nothing else is given, use the standard scalar product and its induced norm.

4. Mar 6, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This function is *assuming* standard Euclidean distance. Of course for other measures of distance you will get different results. Some other norms do not lead to explicit solutions, but are only doable numerically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted