Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does measurement violate unitarity?

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    I am taking my first semester of QM so excuse my question if it is way off mark, totally wrong, or very well known.

As I understand it, one of the postulates of QM are that states evolve unitarily, a consequence (but not THE defining feature) of unitary transformations is that they are invertible.

Consider some system in state ∑ αii > where |Ψi > are the eigenstates of some observable. Now if I measure my system, then after the measurement the state will be |Ψi > i.e. it will be entirely in that state in which I found it to be.

If I am correct, then we can represent this by the transformation (1/αi)Pi where Pi is the projection onto the ith eigenstate and (1/αi) rescales it so that <Ψ|Ψ> = 1.

The problem is that projections arent unitary. In general they arent even invertable. So am I wrong about measurements violating unitarity? Is unitary transformations not a strict requirement?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure.

However when entangled with other systems that can break untitary evolution by turning a pure state into an effective mixed state.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook