Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does multiplication by an invertible matrix preserve convexity?

1. Jul 18, 2014 #1
    I am working with polytopes that are defined by half-planes in [itex]\Re^N[/itex]. So they are defined by a number of inequalities (half plane representation), but can also be represented by the intersection points of these half planes (vertex representation). Computing the vertices is expensive, so I prefer to do that only when necessary.

I need to apply a transformation from this space into one of the same dimension. The transformation is just a linear one via matrix multiplication.

The matrix happens to be formed as a product of three non-square matrices. I could provide more detail about this, but in the end, the final matrix used for transportation (the product) is invertible.

The polytope I start with is convex. Is there a straightforward argument that shows this transformation will preserve that convexity? When I imagine a planar example, it seems like the stretching necessary to create concave dimples or change the angle of a corner point would have to be nonlinear. I also can't imagine a composition of shift, scale and rotation operations that would do this.

I would like to find an argument from first principles or a check to perform on the matrices. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A convex set is by definition a set ##A## such that for each ##x_1,...,x_n\in A## and for each ##t_1,...,t_n\in [0,1]## with ##t_1 + ... + t_n = 1## we have ##t_1x_1 + ... + t_nx_n \in A##.

So what you are trying to do is to take a convex set ##A## and a linear operator ##L## and seeing whether ##L(A)## is still convex.

So take ##L(x_1),....,L(x_n)\in L(A)## and ##t_1 , ..., t_n\in [0,1]## such that ##t_1 + ... + t_n = 1##. We know by convexity of ##A## that ##t_1 x_1 + ... + t_nx_n\in A##. Since ##L## is linear, it follows that ##t_1L(x_1) + ... + t_nL(x_n) = L(t_1x_1 + ... + t_nx_n) \in L(A)##.

Thus it is indeed true that a linear map preserves convexity.

4. Jul 18, 2014 #3
    This is excellent. Thanks very much- that solves it for me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook