Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions about invertibility of matrix products

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    After solving some problems about matrix invertibility and learning some theorems (and proving them), I have developed a set of questions about matrix invertibility. I have some claims but I don't know if they're true or false, so I was wondering if someone could point out which ones are true and which ones are false. Please don't give me any counterexamples or proofs, I wish to do them myself!

- A and B are not necessarily square, unless explictly stated
    - The products AB and BA are defined wherever they happen to be mentioned

Here's what I already know:
    - If A and B are invertible, the product AB and the product BA are both invertible, if they are defined.

What about the following?

1) If A and B are singular matrices, is the product AB also singular?
    2) If A is invertible, but B is singular, is AB invertible or singular? What about BA?
    3) If AB is invertible, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
    4) If AB is singular, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
    5) If BA is invertible, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
    6) If BA is singular, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
    7) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 3?
    8) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 4?
    9) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 5?
    10) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 6?

Again, I only want to know whether they are true or false. I would like to prove/find counterexamples myself.

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2012 #2

Erland

Science Advisor

The notions of invertibility and singularity for matrices are only defined for square matrices. Therefore, it has no meaning to say that a nonsquare matrix is invertible / noninvertible / singular / nonsingular. Therefore, the questions 1-6 have no meaning if the matrices are not square.

For a square matrix, invertible is the same thing as nonsingular, and singular is the same thing as noninvertible.

For the questions 7-10, the answers are:

7) Both A and B are invertible/nonsingular.
    8) At least one of A and B is singular/noninvertible.
    9) Same as 7).
    10) Same as 8).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invertible_matrix

4. Dec 1, 2012 #3
    Thank you so much Erland! A grave mistake on my part not to realize that only square matrices have inverses (both left and right inverses). I will not attempt to prove the 4 results.

BiP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook