I suspect the link may have been to researchers who have had connections with universities and served as a research advisor to a graduate student's project. Depending on a university's guidelines for thesis committees, these research advisors may have to go through some paperwork to be listed as some form of faculty, in at least a temporary way (although their "employ" so to speak, is not through the university). Having such a link to these individuals would probably help connect students to research projects (and make the research facility "look good" or keep records in some way about this... but often such connection is just done through a regular faculty member's connections to researchers at the facility, which is probably why the link went dead.
Other than that, I'm basically seconding ZZ's. Note: I did some of my graduate work at AFRL, so my research advisor at AFRL was therefore a member of the committee (although not the chair), and I think there was some paperwork he had to fill out for the university to show he was qualified to be such.