billabuwl50 Messages 8 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Sep 6, 2006 #1 So, does the entire number make up the order of magnitude or just the decimal places. I don't understand
So, does the entire number make up the order of magnitude or just the decimal places. I don't understand
HallsofIvy Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 42,895 Reaction score 983 Sep 6, 2006 #2 What a strange statement! What number are you talking about? What "decimal places"? Do you know the definition of "order of magnitude"?
What a strange statement! What number are you talking about? What "decimal places"? Do you know the definition of "order of magnitude"?
billabuwl50 Messages 8 Reaction score 0 Sep 6, 2006 #3 For example if I have 3.4 and .1, are these numbers of the same order of magnitude because they both go into the tenths place 10^-1, or are they different orders of magnitude because 3.4 is much larger than .1?
For example if I have 3.4 and .1, are these numbers of the same order of magnitude because they both go into the tenths place 10^-1, or are they different orders of magnitude because 3.4 is much larger than .1?