Does Placement of Valence Electrons in Lewis Dot Diagrams Matter?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
supernova1203
Messages
209
Reaction score
0
So I am doing my lewis dot diagram work, does it matter where i put the valence electors?

for example oxygen has 6 valence electrons, i go with using the N E S W (North, east south, west)

I put 2 north, 2 east, 2 south but none of west(6 in total so far)

but the book puts them in the configuration of 2 north 2 east 1 south and 1 west

its the same isn't it? does it matter? I suppose the book is just trying to give the illusion of a full orbit(covering each direction)

I have the same answer as the book, just positioned differently, it shouldn't matter should it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kinda depends.
take for example the Oxygens in H2O and CO2. While they both have 4 valence electrons, they're placed differently. in CO2 they're 'north' and 'south' because of CO2's linear shape, but in H2O they're typically 'north east' and 'north west' because of H2O's bent shape.

specifically about the 6 electrons on oxygen, as an instructor I wouldn't care where you put them as long as you get the number right. (a little symmetry doesn't hurt, though)
 
a ground state oxygen atom has 2 pairs of electrons and 2 unpaired electrons, so it does matter.
see hund's rule