Does Proof by Contradiction Confirm the Order of Elements in a Group?

  • Thread starter Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
annoymage
Messages
360
Reaction score
0
lal means the order of a

Theorem.

Let G be a group and a[tex]\in[/tex]G. Then lal=la-1l

Proof.

Case 1, if lal=1

Case 2, if lal=n

Case 3, if lal=infinity

i understand case 1 and 3, so i'll be post the proof when need,

but, case 2

Here's the proof

Suppose lal=n

Then an=1 and ar[tex]\neq[/tex]1, 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n-----------(1)

To show that (a-1)n=1 and (a-1)r[tex]\neq[/tex]1, 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n.

Clearly, (a-1)n=(an)-1=(1)-1=1

Suppose (a-1)r=1, for some 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n

=> (ar)-1, 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n

=> ar=1, for some 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n

but this contradict (1)

So, (a-1)r[tex]\neq[/tex]1, 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n

Hence, lal=n=la-1l
I don't understand why, it suppose "(a-1)r=1, for some 1[tex]\leq[/tex]r<n"

then say it contradict with (1), i cannot see how they contradict.

Help, T_T
 
Physics news on Phys.org
=> (ar)-1, [tex]1 \leq r<n[/tex]

You need to finish this line by having an equation, not an expression. I suspect you meant to put =1 in there.

You showed that if the order of a-1 is r with r<n, then ar=1. But the order of a was n, so that's the contradiction
 
(a-1)r=a-r=an-r, so if 0<r<n and a-r=e, order of a is not n.
 
Office_Shredder said:
You need to finish this line by having an equation, not an expression. I suspect you meant to put =1 in there.

You showed that if the order of a-1 is r with r<n, then ar=1. But the order of a was n, so that's the contradiction

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, i get it, now I'm trying to catch what losiu99 try to convey.
in the mean time

do you mind checking this? please :D

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=417859
 
Sorry, my post was a bit off topic, I thought you didn't understand the part on reaching ar=1 starting from (a-1)r.