Does pulsed plasma thruster fits my satellite?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a satellite model that can go close to the atmosphere and then back up again using a pulsed thruster. The person is asking if a pulsed plasma thruster is suitable for this purpose and how big the tank needs to be. They have tried other thrusters but none have been suitable. It is mentioned that the size of the satellite will determine if this is possible, with a small satellite in the 5-10kg range being a potential option. The person then asks if it is still possible if the satellite is in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) and goes slightly below 100 miles.
Uri Bru
Hi,
I don't know if it's the right place for this question, but-

I need to create a satellite model, that after being in space, will come close to the atmosphere, and then go back up again. In its way up it need to use a pulsed thruster. (This needs to happen multiple times...)

Does a pulsed plasma thruster fit to this kind of use? How big the tank needs to be (more or less...) to lift up a small satellite?

Until now I've tried some thrusters but none of them suited...Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the size of the satellite.
You might be able to do something like you suggested with a very small one in the 5 -10kg range.
(As long as it's not getting sufficiently close to the atmosphere that friction starts to become a problem)

Thank you,

If my satellite will be ine LEO (between 100 to 1200 mi), do you think it's still possible? (If the satellite goes a liitle bit under 100 mi, and then goes back up again, or is it too close?)

Thanks

1. How does a pulsed plasma thruster work?

A pulsed plasma thruster (PPT) works by using electrical energy to ionize a gas, typically xenon, and accelerate the ions out of the thruster at high speeds. This creates thrust that propels the satellite forward.

2. What are the advantages of using a pulsed plasma thruster?

Pulsed plasma thrusters are advantageous for satellites because they are compact, lightweight, and have a high specific impulse (the thrust produced per unit of propellant). They also have a lower power requirement compared to other types of thrusters.

3. Are pulsed plasma thrusters suitable for all types of satellites?

Pulsed plasma thrusters are most suitable for small satellites or CubeSats due to their compact size and low power requirements. However, larger satellites can also use PPTs as a secondary propulsion system.

4. How do I know if a pulsed plasma thruster is the right choice for my satellite?

The decision to use a pulsed plasma thruster for your satellite will depend on several factors, including the size and weight of your satellite, the required thrust and delta-v, and the mission objectives. It is best to consult with a propulsion expert to determine if a PPT is the best option for your specific satellite.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a pulsed plasma thruster?

One potential drawback of using a pulsed plasma thruster is the limited amount of propellant that can be carried on board. This means that the thruster may have a shorter operational lifetime compared to other types of thrusters. Additionally, the high acceleration of the ions can cause erosion of the thruster's components over time.