Does Quantum Contextuality only apply to spin?

In summary, the conversation discusses quantum contextuality and its applicability to measurements of spin. It is also mentioned that spin was discovered through observation and can be included in the Hamiltonian to show up in Schrodinger's equation. The concept of quantum contextuality is further explained and it is noted that it applies to all aspects of quantum mechanics, with spin and photon polarization being commonly used examples. The origin of quantum spin is also briefly mentioned, with a reference to group theory and Pauli's equation.
Jarrodmccarthy
I have just recently started learning about quantum contextuality and can only seem to find examples where contextuality is need to explain measurements of spin.
So I am curious as to whether quantum contextuality only applies to measurements of spin?

Also, If someone could clarify where the quantum number for spin 'comes from' since I haven't been able to find a solution where it comes out of the Schroedinger equation?

Any responses would be fantastic and apologies if the questions aren't well formulated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarrodmccarthy said:
Also, If someone could clarify where the quantum number for spin 'comes from' since I haven't been able to find a solution where it comes out of the Schroedinger equation?
Spin was discovered by observation. During the 1920s it became clear that a bound electron had an additional degree of freedom beyond the n,l,m quantum numbers that appear when you solve Schrodinger's equation for a spinless charged particle around the nucleus.

As with any observable, to make spin show up in Schrodinger's equation, you have to include it in the Hamiltonian. If the physical system is such that spin-related effects are negligible or non-existent (for example, a free electron in the absence of a magnetic field) then there won't be any spin-related terms in the Hamiltonian.

Jarrodmccarthy said:
I have just recently started learning about quantum contextuality and can only seem to find examples where contextuality is need to explain measurements of spin.
So I am curious as to whether quantum contextuality only applies to measurements of spin?
As far as the mathematical formalism of QM is concerned, everything is contextual. Spin and photon polarization are used as examples most often because it's relatively easy to design experiments using them to demonstrate contextually.

Nugatory said:
As far as the mathematical formalism of QM is concerned, everything is contextual. Spin and photon polarization are used as examples most often because it's relatively easy to design experiments using them to demonstrate contextually.
Thank you very much.
All of what you said made sense so thank you.

Quantum spin angular momentum is a consequence of group theory (Galilei group for Newtonian spacetime, Poincare group for Minkowski spacetime), and Pauli's equation for the non specially relativistic case follows as the only option to have a 2nd order PDE which incorporates spin. This derivation was made by Levy-Leblond in the golden era of the 1960's.

1. What is Quantum Contextuality?

Quantum Contextuality is a principle in quantum mechanics where the measurement of a particle's properties is dependent on the context in which it is measured.

2. How does Quantum Contextuality apply to spin?

Quantum Contextuality applies to spin in the sense that the measurement of a particle's spin can vary depending on the orientation of the measurement apparatus and the order in which the measurements are performed.

3. Does Quantum Contextuality only apply to spin?

No, Quantum Contextuality can also apply to other properties of particles such as position, momentum, and energy.

4. What are some real-world applications of Quantum Contextuality?

Quantum Contextuality has applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication systems.

5. How does Quantum Contextuality impact our understanding of reality?

Quantum Contextuality challenges our classical understanding of reality by showing that the properties of particles are not inherent but rather dependent on the context in which they are measured.