Why do some salts react with acids while others don't?

• Thread starter nyrychvantel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acids
In summary, some salts do not react with acids due to their solubility in water or other factors. However, certain salts can still react with acids, as seen in the example of CuCO3 reacting with H2SO4. This is due to the principle of La Chetelier, where acids favor the dissolution of salts. Additionally, the strength of acids also plays a role in these reactions, as stronger acids can displace weaker acids from salts. This is seen in the example of HCl displacing HNO3 from a nitrate salt, but not vice versa.
nyrychvantel
I am new to the concepts of reaction between of Acids, Bases and Salts.
While learning, I notice that some salts react with acids to form a new salt (and sometimes a new acid is produced), especially in Qualitative Analysis, while some don't even reacts.
I tried to search the internet about it but to no avail, I've no choice but to ask you guys.

Why is it that some salts do not react with acids? Is it because of it's solubility in water or other reasons?
That also contradicts me because [tex]CuCO_3[/tex] + [tex]H_{2}SO_4[/tex] [tex]\longrightarrow[/tex] [tex]CuSO_4[/tex] + [tex]H_2O[/tex] + [tex]CO_2[/tex]
[tex]CuCO_3[/tex] is an insoluble salt, but it is still able to react with acids.

Why do salts even react with acids in the first place, that doesn't make sense to me.
For example if [tex]CaNO_{3}[/tex] reacts with [tex]HCl[/tex] to produce [tex]CaCl_2[/tex]and [tex]HNO_3[/tex], why woundn't the [tex]CaCl_2[/tex] reacts with [tex]HNO_3[/tex] again to form back [tex]CaNO_{3}[/tex] and [tex]HCl[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Acids favor the dissolution of salts via the La Chetelier's principle - this is one way.

For your second question consider which is the better acid.

there are many acids, and each one has its own 'strength'. sulphuric acid is a stronger acid than ethanoic acid.

if you have ethanoic acid reaction with NaOH, you will get the salt sodium ethanoate. but if you then add sulphuric acid to this salt, the weaker ethanoic acid will be displaced by the stronger sulphuric acid to give sodium sulphate and ethanoic acid back.

HCl is stronger than HNO3 which is stronger than H2SO4...etc

HCl will be able to displace HNO3 from a nitrate salt, but HNO3 will not be able to displace the stronger HCl from a chloride salt.HCl will displace the weaker carbonic acid from the carbonate as well.

1. What is the chemical reaction between salts and acids?

When salts and acids are mixed, they undergo a neutralization reaction. This means that the acid donates a proton (H+) to the salt, forming a new compound called a salt.

2. How do salts and acids react?

Salts and acids react by producing water and a salt. The salt formed is dependent on the specific acid and salt used in the reaction.

3. Can all salts react with acids?

No, not all salts can react with acids. Only salts that contain a cation (positive ion) that is capable of reacting with the acid's anion (negative ion) will undergo a reaction.

4. What type of salt is formed when an acid reacts with a metal?

When an acid reacts with a metal, a salt called a metal salt is formed. This type of salt has a metal cation and a non-metal anion.

5. Why do salts and acids react to form a neutral solution?

Salts and acids react to form a neutral solution because the acid's proton and the salt's anion combine to form a new compound that does not have a positive or negative charge, resulting in a neutral pH.