Does science bring you spiritual fulfillment?

• Thread starter Galteeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: I never really thought about it like that before. It's like every question I ask opens up a new door of knowledge that I could never have imagined before. It's like a never-ending treasure hunt.In summary, science has given us a greater understanding of the world around us, which has made us happy.
Galteeth
Beyond simply serving as an explanation for the unexplainable, religion has theoretically played the role of providing "spiritual" satisfaction, or in other words, a connection to life and existence that makes it seems more meaningful and transcends the more mundane aspects of day to day existence.

Do you feel, as professional scientists, that uncovering knowledge has played a similar role for you in your lives? Or is it something sterile and neutral? How has science and it's affect on your world view changed your life for the better (or the worse)?

This question is directed primarily to those who are not conventionally religious, although the conventionally religious can certainly way in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - so does engineering. And so do many other things like gardening, hiking and being in nature, looking at stars, talking with friends or strangers, helping a neighbor or stranger, posting useful or inquisitive information at PF, . . . .

Tikkun Olam

I'd have to say science makes me happy, but it's the kind of happiness that comes from solving a good puzzle. Very satisfying but sort of in a selfish way, so "spiritually fulfilled" is a bit strong.

I do get it from a lot of the things Astro mentioned. Kids are a rich source of fulfillment, too.

Science brings deeper understanding of the world around us. It exposes us to the fact that human perception is merely a poorly reconstructed version of reality, and that emotion is a relic mechanism of human evolution on which everyone is chained to on different levels.

Therefore I can freely immerse myself in this human delusion and perform actions that stimulate the emotional complex in a such a way that it may cause me to say "ahh that's enjoyable" - by such things as friendship, love, satisfaction, sports, education or whatever arbitrary thing you like doing.

And when I die the fire of my consciousness will distinguish quietly into the night when all neurons in the brain disconnect from one another and their particular state configuration, as complicated as it may be, will be no more. The atoms and molecules of my body, and the energy contents stored within them will diffuse into the environment and will be used up by other things, such as a stem of an exquisite lily, or another atom will get stuck in a cell membrane of a bacteria.

I think that statement strikes the 'spirituality' chord, and its mechanism is no different than from someone else who feels spirituality but instead has thoughts of going to heaven or living an everlasting life.

Last edited:
With the exception that I would replace some misused words, I agree fully with Waht.
I'm an Atheist of the highest order, with no belief whatsoever in any kind of "spirit" other than will-power such as is expressed in sports. The term "spiritual" is therefore meaningless. When I'm dead, I will not possibly be able to give a **** what happens to my corpse. While I'm alive, I have expressed in my will that I want any functional organs to be donated to transplant recipients (advantage of being O-), the remains go to medical school as my father did, and whatever is left after that gets burned. I will, of course, have no idea of whether or not those requests are met, and will not be in any position to protest a deviation.

Danger said:
With the exception that I would replace some misused words, I agree fully with Waht.
I'm an Atheist of the highest order, with no belief whatsoever in any kind of "spirit" other than will-power such as is expressed in sports. The term "spiritual" is therefore meaningless. When I'm dead, I will not possibly be able to give a **** what happens to my corpse. While I'm alive, I have expressed in my will that I want any functional organs to be donated to transplant recipients (advantage of being O-), the remains go to medical school as my father did, and whatever is left after that gets burned. I will, of course, have no idea of whether or not those requests are met, and will not be in any position to protest a deviation.

I'm using spiritual in a colloquial sense here, not to refer to a literal spirit, but rather a subjective state of consciousness/being that is difficult to exactly define. I take spiritual fulfillment as the opposite of mundane fulfillment. For example, beating a video game may give you some mundane fulfillment, but it is quite different then say, experiencing beauty in a profound way.

Galteeth said:
I'm using spiritual in a colloquial sense here

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, science does make me appreciate things much more than I would without any understanding of what's going on.

Learning makes me happy, so science makes me happy. Spiritual? No.

Those two are not equivalent. In science, you question things; in religions, you don't question things but you believe.

rootX said:
Those two are not equivalent. In science, you question things; in religions, you don't question things but you believe.

Who said that science and religion were equivalent?

rootX said:

Nor are religion and spiritual fulfillment equivalent.

Besides, it is quite common to question your faith in religion. Doubt is for example a central element in the Christian philosophy of the philosopher Kierkegaard, and many Christians commonly have sincere doubts about their beliefs. So I don't agree with you that religion is about not questioning your beliefs.

1. Is it possible for science to bring spiritual fulfillment?

Yes, it is possible for science to bring spiritual fulfillment. While science is often associated with rationality and logic, it can also provide a deeper understanding of the world and our place in it. Through scientific discoveries, we can gain a sense of wonder and awe, which can lead to a sense of spiritual fulfillment.

2. How can science bring spiritual fulfillment?

Science can bring spiritual fulfillment by helping us connect with something greater than ourselves. Through scientific exploration, we can gain a better understanding of the natural world and our place in it, which can lead to a sense of connection and purpose. Additionally, the pursuit of knowledge and understanding through science can bring a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction.

3. Does science conflict with spirituality?

No, science and spirituality do not have to conflict with each other. While science focuses on the physical world and the laws that govern it, spirituality often focuses on the intangible aspects of life and our connection to something greater. Both can coexist and complement each other in bringing fulfillment to individuals.

4. Can science provide a sense of purpose and meaning?

Yes, science can provide a sense of purpose and meaning. Through scientific inquiry, we can gain a deeper understanding of the world and our place in it, which can lead to a sense of purpose and meaning. Additionally, scientific advancements can have a positive impact on society, providing a sense of fulfillment and purpose for those involved in scientific research.

5. Does spirituality have a place in scientific research?

While spirituality may not have a direct place in scientific research, it can still play a role in the motivations and values of scientists. Many scientists are driven by a sense of wonder and curiosity about the world, which can be seen as a spiritual pursuit. Additionally, ethical considerations and moral values, often influenced by spirituality, can play a role in guiding scientific research.