Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taxpayers funding Christian anti-science private schools

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is wrong in so many ways. If you want to send your child to a private school, fine, but you should not be able to use public tax dollars. We have public schools paid for by tax dollars.

How the hell can this happen?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...-debunk-evolution-state-funded-190816504.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

So sad... How can people believe this crap and allow (require) it to be taught to children to perpetuate that ignorance?

4. Jun 25, 2012 #3
    Basically it looks like someone or some group is trying hard to discredit this private school voucher system by holding up an extreme, or freak, as par for the course. I'd study the whole issue in much more depth rather than decide based on this one story.

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4
    It's worse than that, people who *don't* believe it have to pay to have it taught...

6. Jun 25, 2012 #5

Evo

There should not be a tax payer paid private school system that is religion based. If you want your kid to go to any private religious school, that's up to you and at your expense.

7. Jun 25, 2012 #6
    This is so BS. Government is encouraging more science/math education in schools but at same time tax money is going for exactly the opposite causes.

8. Jun 25, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

That is a great rule, but in Jindall's little kingdom apparently anything goes. It would really tick me off to be a taxpayer down there and see my tax-money being used to mislead kids with religious-based nonsense. If parents want to have their kids "educated" with such foolishness, they should pay for it.

9. Jun 25, 2012 #8

Evo

It's really shocking that what constitutes education in this country is left up to the state and local level. That means that there is no minimum standard of education for this country's children.

Is there any wonder why America is so far behind academically?

How can we allow this country's children to not only be taught crackpottery, but they aren't even exposed to the truth?

What the hell are people thinking?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  10. Jun 25, 2012 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the hell are "bible-based math books"?

Never mind. Off topic and I'm afraid to find out.

11. Jun 25, 2012 #10

Evo

I was wondering that also.

12. Jun 25, 2012 #11
    :rofl:

13. Jun 25, 2012 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Maybe that involves equating millions of years of natural history with 6000 years... I really hope that's not the case, but I wouldn't put it past a fundamentalist christian school. Why are we paying for this?

14. Jun 25, 2012 #13
    Andy Schlafly (son of prominent conservative figure Phyllis Schlafly) is on record describing complex analysis as a "secular" and "liberal" invention, so I'm sure these institutions could politicize mathematics if they chose to.

15. Jun 25, 2012 #14

Evo

The thing is, the people that have been pushing for using tax payer money for private schools are mostly christian fundamentalists. How can tax payer funds be given to religious sects?

16. Jun 25, 2012 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_voucher#United_States

17. Jun 25, 2012 #16

Evo

18. Jun 25, 2012 #17

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "fact" that pi = 3 exactly springs to mind, but I can't quote you the exact chapter and verse.

19. Jun 25, 2012 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh. I was thinking it might be something like:

A volume of 1 seah = 7.33 liters or 7.33dm3

and areas are determined by how many seah of barley seed is needed to sow that area.

20. Jun 25, 2012 #19
    When I heard Bible-based math book, this came to my mind:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/hell.htm

Let alone for the fact the "Bible-based science" teaching is probably incorrect, what they are doing there in Louisiana is also a violation of the 1st amendment, since it uses public funds for religious education.

In 1968, a Supreme Court case in Flast vs. Cohen outlawed the allocation of public funds to religious non-secular teaching. I wonder what has happened since then?

BiP

21. Jun 25, 2012 #20
    Bible based math.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52381.html

They should encounter a problem with 0 since it didn't exist in the bible.:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook