Does the APF depend on the temperature

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    does the APF depend on the temperature
    a) yes
    b) no
    c) only for metals
    d) only for ceramics

i know that for iron for example the bravias lattice can change at different temperatures, but does the atomic packing factor also, i would think yes, but is this true for all materials or just metals?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How is the APF defined? What characteristics of a material does it incorporate? Could these characteristics change slowly (or hint: suddenly) with temperature?

4. Dec 26, 2009 #3
    i would think so, if it is the volume of the atoms/ volume of the cube, and the lattice changes i would think that the APF would too, but i know this can happen in metals, but is it true for all materials or only metals

5. Dec 27, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't believe the APF depends on the lattice constant, but I agree that it will change with crystal structure. And yes, crystal structure changes are possible with nonmetals also (e.g., diamond/graphite).

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
    how about expansion and contraction due to temperature changes?!

7. Dec 27, 2009 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what's the APF for a hexagonal close-packed structure, for example? Does it depend on temperature, as long as the crystal arrangement is unchanged?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?