Does the brain replace itself every 7 years?

• Thread starter black hole 123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Years
In summary, the body replaces itself every 7 years, but the brain does not do this. While there is some regeneration and growth of brain cells throughout our lives, most of the cells in our brain remain the same since early childhood. This is necessary for us to retain childhood memories. The idea that all cells in the body are replaced at the same rate is a myth. Cells in different parts of the body have varying lifespans, with some lasting only a few days while others can live for years. Additionally, the rate of cell turnover changes as we age. While some cells in the body are constantly being replaced, others, like neurons in the cerebral cortex, are not replaced at all. It is important to fact-check sources when
black hole 123
i read somewhere the body replace itself every 7 years. does the brain also do this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Generally no. Some regeneration and growth of brain (new synapses etc) continue for entire life, but most of the brain cells are the same since early childhood - or we would be unable to retain childhood memories which are saved as deposits of proteins within neurons.

The whole idea is a myth, the reality is that the many different cells in the body are replaced at very different rates, and some like the neurones in the cerebral cortex are not replaced at all in adulthood.

Some examples; sperm cells only last around 3 days, cells lining the colon, 4 days, red blood cells last around 4 months, while white blood cells can live around a year. The rate also changes as we age cells in the heart (cardiomyocytes) are replaced at around 1% a year in young adults but this rate is halved by the age of 70. For most people this means that over half of these cells will never be replaced over their lifespan. It seems that few neurons are replaced over our lifespan though there may be some neurogenesis in very specific areas of the brain like the hippocampus.

Likes Evo, pinball1970, BillTre and 2 others
@black hole 123 -
The next time you pose a question please consider giving us the source. It is clear that your source was very wrong.

Also consider: when you want to find something in medicine or human biology try a search on NIH. They have wonderful high quality references there, and their general white papers for public consumption are excellent. Prepend "site:NIH" to your google search example:

"site:nih.gov your search term(s) " --- without the quotes, I had to add them to get this to display correctly

Likes elusiveshame and berkeman
I have a dry patch of skin on my face, my concern is this means a high cell turn overate and is "aging" much faster than the rest of my face! o_O

jim mcnamara said:
@black hole 123 -
The next time you pose a question please consider giving us the source. It is clear that your source was very wrong.

Also consider: when you want to find something in medicine or human biology try a search on NIH. They have wonderful high quality references there, and their general white papers for public consumption are excellent. Prepend "site:NIH" to your google search example:

"site:nih.gov your search term(s) " --- without the quotes, I had to add them to get this to display correctly

Just wanted to mention you can append your google search with the site:<url> search modifier. Here's a list of other modifiers for the Google novices: https://moz.com/learn/seo/search-operators

1. Does the brain actually replace itself every 7 years?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the entire brain is replaced every 7 years. While some cells in the brain do have the ability to regenerate, the majority of brain cells are long-lived and can last a lifetime.

2. What cells in the brain have the ability to regenerate?

Neurons, or nerve cells, do not have the ability to regenerate. However, glial cells, which support and protect neurons, can regenerate under certain circumstances.

3. What factors affect the regeneration of brain cells?

The regeneration of brain cells is affected by a variety of factors, including age, genetics, and overall health. Environmental factors, such as diet and exercise, can also play a role in the health and regeneration of brain cells.

4. Can brain cells regenerate in cases of injury or disease?

In some cases, brain cells can regenerate after injury or disease. However, this process is limited and varies depending on the type and severity of the injury or disease.

5. How often do brain cells regenerate?

The rate of brain cell regeneration varies depending on the type of cell and individual factors. Some cells may regenerate more frequently, while others may not regenerate at all. Overall, the brain is constantly changing and adapting, but the idea of complete replacement every 7 years is not supported by scientific evidence.