Does the Center of Mass Have Horizontal Velocity in a Frictionless System?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
cacofolius
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Moved from general physics forum
Hi. There are two masses connected by a massless bar, and from the unstable equilibrium position shown in the figure is slightly inclined so it falls down, being the final state of the system that both masses are in contact with the surface. There is no friction between the floor and m2. The problem is to find the horizontal component of the velocity of the center of mass.

I think that since there is no friction, and gravity being the only outside force that acts on the system, the center of mass will fall straight down, so there will be no horizontal velocity of it. So is this right?

[tex]Vx = \frac{m_{1}V_{x1}+m_{2}V_{x2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}} = 0[/tex]

two  masses.jpg


Thanks in advance.
 
Attachments
  • two  masses.jpg
    two masses.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought I was on Homework, please excuse me. I'm looking for how to move/delete the thread. Edit: I just found out I can't. All apologies.
 
Last edited:
No problem, I moved it for you. Usually we require the use of a template, but you essentially provided the key elements of the template anyway. So it should be OK.

Your analysis seems correct to me.