Does the Dri Buddi Really Dry Clothes and Iron them Out?

• Thread starter Bararontok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary: Not ironed, but permanent-pressed clothing doesn't need ironing, no matter what source of drying you use, as long...
Bararontok
There is this new product on the market called the Dri Buddi Clothes Dryer that claims to use less electricity than a regular tumble dryer, flattens out the clothes with jets of hot air coming from its blower, does not damage or shrink clothing, does not have filters that need cleaning, is lighter, more portable and takes up less space.

The question is, does this really work? The links to the product can be found below as a source of information:

http://www.jmldirect.com/uk/laundry/dri-buddi/invt/d04db10100000001/

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8501147.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Now, in this product review, a customer claims that towels are nearly impossible to dry with this device. Is this true? The review can be found below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a hair dryer for clothes. I can understand it not being able to dry thick items like towels. I don't think clothes will be any less wrinkled than if you remove clothes from the dryer as soon as it stops. Clothes like linen and natural cotton will not come out looking ironed.

Evo said:
Clothes like linen and natural cotton will not come out looking ironed.

So can other types of fabric be flattened by this device?

Evo said:
I can understand it not being able to dry thick items like towels.

What about this other technology that I have heard about called a solid-state dryer. It is basically a dryer with no moving parts and it uses only the direct application of heat to dry fabrics. It is basically like an electric oven for clothes. I saw it in an appliance center but I was not able to get the brand but I hope my description alone can help you to tell whether this device will work or not.

My computer is doing odd things tonight so I can't watch the video - but where does the thing vent to? Just to the room? That could encourage mold growth.

Bararontok said:
What about this other technology that I have heard about called a solid-state dryer. It is basically a dryer with no moving parts and it uses only the direct application of heat to dry fabrics. It is basically like an electric oven for clothes. I saw it in an appliance center but I was not able to get the brand but I hope my description alone can help you to tell whether this device will work or not.
The reason clothes dryers tumble is to keep the air flowing around them to be more effective, and prevent wrinkling.

We have two Dri Buddies...

They work really well, not quite as quick as a tumble dryer but much cheaper to buy and run.

As Evo said, a hair dryer for clothes.

You hang the clothes up inside them on hangers so there is plenty of space for the hot air to circulate around them.

I hope this helps,
Garth

Garth said:
We have two Dri Buddies...

They work really well, not quite as quick as a tumble dryer but much cheaper to buy and run.

As Evo said, a hair dryer for clothes.

You hang the clothes up inside them on hangers so there is plenty of space for the hot air to circulate around them.

I hope this helps,
Garth

Does it vent to the room?

lisab said:
My computer is doing odd things tonight so I can't watch the video - but where does the thing vent to? Just to the room? That could encourage mold growth.

I am sorry but I do not know because the video and the company site does not explain this but I will try to gather more details on the product.

lisab said:
Does it vent to the room?

Yes it does!

It would need a (slightly) ventilated room. I said slightly because there is not that much condensation from it, it is more gentle than a tumble dryer; as it is on the clothes themselves.

http://media.daxon.co.uk/images/0/81/AG/0X_99966_3091_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
The reason clothes dryers tumble is to keep the air flowing around them to be more effective, and prevent wrinkling.

Actually, I was only thinking of using the solid-state dryer for drying the towels. I was planning on buying a miniature version about half the size of a conventional tumble dryer while the clothes would be dried on the Dri Buddi.

By the way, what about my other question: can clothes that are not made of linen or natural cotton be ironed out by the Dri Buddi according to the description of the product?

Bararontok said:
Actually, I was only thinking of using the solid-state dryer for drying the towels. I was planning on buying a miniature version about half the size of a conventional tumble dryer while the clothes would be dried on the Dri Buddi.

By the way, what about my other question: can clothes that are not made of linen or natural cotton be ironed out by the Dri Buddi according to the description of the product?
Not ironed, but permanent-pressed clothing doesn't need ironing, no matter what source of drying you use, as long as you don't go crazy and bunch them up as they're drying, so the result is due to how the material is made, not the dryer.

A permanent press is a characteristic of fabric that has been chemically processed to resist wrinkles and hold its shape. Alternative terms include wrinkle resistant, wash and wear, no-iron, durable press, and easy care. This treatment has a lasting effect on the fabric.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_press

Evo said:
Not ironed, but permanent-pressed clothing doesn't need ironing, no matter what source of drying you use, as long as you don't go crazy and bunch them up as they're drying, so the result is due to how the material is made, not the dryer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_press

Thank you for this information, my question has been answered.

1. Does the Dri Buddi really dry clothes and iron them out efficiently?

Yes, the Dri Buddi is designed to efficiently dry and iron clothes with minimal effort. It uses a combination of heat and steam to remove wrinkles and moisture from fabrics, resulting in dry and wrinkle-free clothes.

2. How does the Dri Buddi work?

The Dri Buddi works by using a combination of heat and steam to remove moisture and wrinkles from clothes. It has a heating element that warms up the air inside the machine, which then circulates around the clothes. The steam produced by the heating element helps to remove any wrinkles on the fabric.

3. Is the Dri Buddi safe to use on all types of fabrics?

Yes, the Dri Buddi is designed to be safe to use on most types of fabrics. However, it is always recommended to check the care instructions on your clothing items before using the Dri Buddi, as some delicate fabrics may require special care.

4. How long does it take for the Dri Buddi to dry and iron clothes?

The drying and ironing time of the Dri Buddi depends on the type and amount of clothes being dried. On average, it takes approximately 60 minutes to dry and iron a full load of clothes. However, heavier fabrics or larger loads may take longer.

5. Can the Dri Buddi replace a traditional iron and ironing board?

No, the Dri Buddi is not meant to replace a traditional iron and ironing board. It is designed to be a convenient and time-saving alternative for those who do not have the time or space for traditional ironing. It can be used for light touch-ups or for drying and ironing clothes that are not heavily wrinkled.

Back