Does the entire universe have a survival instinct?

• Thread starter baywax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the universe has a survival instinct similar to our genetic coding for the "survival instinct". It has lasted as long as it has and there are fail safes or mechanisms that protect it. "Collapse" and "discontinuation" are not predators. What you are saying is nothing different to me saying I have lived a long life (100 years) and so that clearly means I have a survival instinct - despite the fact that I've been on a life support machine for the last 50 years.
Space news on Phys.org
for the notion of evolution in cosmology, See also Smolin's fecund universe theory

jarednjames said:
I've given you the definition's of the word, if you can't identify the difference between the different forms of evolution then I see no further point discussing this issue if I can't be sure you fully understand such a basic concept.

I understand your concern regarding the use of proper terminology to describe specific states, events and conditions and I respect those parameters.

Perhaps we could identify the type of evolution being discussed by using hyphenation... ie: bio-evolution, social-evolution, star-evolution, galactic-evolution and universal-evolution.. and so on.

For my own purposes I tend not to trumpet the differences between life and non-life. Living matter is made up of the same materials as non-living matter and is ruled by the same physical laws as non-living matter. So, the claimed distinctions between life and the rest of the universe seem arbitrary. Sure, life is a demonstratively more complex system than say that of a sun. But a sun is pretty impressive in its "fine tuning" as well.

You could say life is unique in its ability to reproduce but once a sun dies and goes into super nova, this process is the start of a whole "generation" of new suns, its not biological reproduction but it is similar to regenerative "life cycle".

As much as I do not want to draw analogies between the living and the non-living groups of matter in the universe, I tend to see them as closely related due to the fact that they are governed by the same laws and are composed of the materials. It's only the functions of life, the scale and complexity of those functions that appear unrelated to the the events taking place in the realm of the "inanimate" universe.

Whatever naturally selected adaptations result from specific combinations of Adenosine Thymine Cytosine or Guanine that make us stand up and say... "that's evolution!"... the same exclamation applies to how a sun forms from a nebula, which consists of dust particles and hydrogen gas. Gravity pulls this material together into globules, which gradually expand as they convert their constituent hydrogen into helium during nuclear reactions. Its all physics and chemistry.

Its pretty obvious, though, that if someone starts talking about the "genealogy" of a group of stars, the analogy and metaphors have gotten out of hand.

I guess I'm just looking at the propensity of all things to evolve and how that evolution tends to work toward the survival or "self organization" of whatever it is that is evolving. Not in every case... but generally speaking.

Galteeth said:
for the notion of evolution in cosmology, See also Smolin's fecund universe theory

Thank you Galteeth, I'm already looking at these great references.

baywax said:
Thank you Galteeth, I'm already looking at these great references.

Let's pick this up after you've had some time to digest, and can point us toward specific references for discussion. Thanks :)