Does the mass in the SHM period equation include the spring mass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Peter G.
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I performed an experiment investigating the Time Period of oscillations. I wanted to know whether the m in the equation represents solely the mass hung on the spring or the mass of the system, that is, the mass hung plus the mass of the spring itself?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I performed an experiment investigating the Time Period of oscillations. I wanted to know whether the m in the equation represents solely the mass hung on the spring or the mass of the system, that is, the mass hung plus the mass of the spring itself?

Thanks

In theory it is always an ideal spring - with no mass.

When conducting an experiment, the mass of the spring will have an effect, but not as simple as adding the mass of the spring to that of the mass hung on the end.