Does the Mass of an Object Fluctuate?

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation revolves around a momentum lab where two cars collide and stick together, and the change in momentum for each car needs to be calculated. The participants discuss potential sources of error, such as assuming constant masses and the effect of non-constant velocity on the formula p=mv. It is mentioned that the momentum at the time of collision should be estimated, and that assumptions should be carefully considered. The conversation also touches on the concept of rocket propulsion and the rocket equation. Overall, the main points are understanding the experiment's assumptions and accounting for all factors that may affect the results.
jumbogala
I'm working on a momentum lab right now and I'm having a hard time finding the sources of error.

What we did was take two cars. One was moving and one wasn't, and we had them collide and stick together. Then we had to figure out the change in momentum for each car.

I thought my teacher mentioned something about having to assume that the masses stay constant thoughout the experiment. I don't know if this seems like a valid source of error or not.

Also, does it matter if the moving car wasn't traveling at a constant velocity? Since there is no acceleration in the formula p=mv, I want to say no, but I'm not sure. (We measured the velocity at different time intervals and at the end used the average momentum).

Physics news on Phys.org
(We measured the velocity at different time intervals and at the end used the average momentum).

This could be your problem - you should try to estimate the momentum at the time of collision.

We did, but we wanted to see how an object's momentum compares before collision, during, and after. Because the velocity wasn't staying constant before collision, we had to use an average momentum there.

what are you 'averaging' when you are 'averaging momentum'?

Regards the question... no, with usual apparatus you should certainly not be able to detect the mass fluctuate, but nonetheless you should be highly aware of all assumptions you make. In principle... the cart is probably heavier after the collision.

jumbogala said:
I thought my teacher mentioned something about having to assume that the masses stay constant thoughout the experiment. I don't know if this seems like a valid source of error or not.
Assume:
- no parts fly off in the collision
- no emissions or loss in fuel
etc.

Is the car a "rigid" object, do you assume that the body of the car didn't crumple. If so, then you have to put the coefficient of restitution into a consideration. If you're wondering how acceleration be put into the equation, well, p = mv, maybe what you're talking about is the force, where F = dp/dt = ma.

besides your teacher may say that you have to assume that the mass is constant, that is to remove all the complexities in your lab experiment.

In the case of rocket propulsion, one must consider the rocket equation

F=dp/dt=d(mv)/dt=(dm/dt)v+m(dv/dt)=(dm/dt)v+ma

In other words, mass expelled contributes to the impulse of a rocket beyond the conventional Newtonian consideration.

I'm sayin':
- do not consider the cars to be rigid objects (they stick together)
- do not consider the mass of lost fuel (the teacher explicitly said not to, and besides: hello? they're CARS)

1. Does the mass of an object fluctuate?

Yes, the mass of an object can fluctuate depending on certain factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions.

2. What causes the mass of an object to fluctuate?

The mass of an object can fluctuate due to changes in the number of particles within the object, changes in the arrangement of particles, or changes in the energy of the particles.

3. Can the mass of an object decrease?

Yes, the mass of an object can decrease due to processes such as evaporation, where particles escape from the object, or through chemical reactions where the mass is converted into other forms of energy.

4. Can the mass of an object increase?

Yes, the mass of an object can increase through processes such as condensation, where particles are added to the object, or through chemical reactions where new particles are formed and added to the object.

5. How can we measure fluctuations in an object's mass?

We can measure fluctuations in an object's mass using a sensitive balance or scale, which can detect even small changes in mass. We can also measure changes in an object's weight, which is directly related to its mass, using a scale or spring scale.