Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the Monster Group appear in String Theory?

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    I read somewhere that the Monster Group appears is related to String Theory as 26D String theory on a 24D Leech Lattice gives a vertex algebra whose symmetries are the Monster Group.

Just wondering if the size of a big group like that appears in the actual Universe?

For example, there are lots of big numbers such as why is the Weak force about 10^32 times less than the Plank Mass? Or why is the cosmological constant like 10^(-120)?

Does string Theory say anything about this. It just seems a coincidence for example that the size of the Baby Monster is 4x10^33.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The strength of the weak force depends a lot on the energy scale, and it does not make sense to compare its strength to a mass.

There are some factors of 1040 and it is unclear whether they are a coincidence or not, but no 1033 as far as I know.

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    Well I still think it's interesting that the mass of the top quark is approximately equal to 1/sqrt( order of Baby Monster) in Plank Units.
    Anyway I got that number from Wikipedia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook