Does the Reaction of Cl2 and KH Produce KCl and HCl?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ProjectFringe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hcl Kcl
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
ProjectFringe
Messages
96
Reaction score
10
Does anyone happen to know if Cl2+KH > KCl + HCl?

And if it does, what is the reasoning? Is it because Cl2 prefers an ionic bond rather than a covalent bond?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
ProjectFringe said:
Does anyone happen to know if Cl2+KH > KCl + HCl?

And if it does, what is the reasoning? Is it because Cl2 prefers an ionic bond rather than a covalent bond?
KH is pyrophoric in air. You should also get a violent oxidation reaction with chlorine gas.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProjectFringe
willem2 said:
KH is pyrophoric in air. You should also get a violent oxidation reaction with chlorine gas.
I mean HCl the gas, not Hydrochloric Acid, so there is no oxygen present in this reaction (if I understand your response correctly).
 
ProjectFringe said:
I mean HCl the gas, not Hydrochloric Acid, so there is no oxygen present in this reaction (if I understand your response correctly).
An oxidizer is a substance that can accept electrons from other substances. This includes Chlorine molecules Cl2 ,that can take 2 electrons to make Cl-.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: ProjectFringe
willem2 said:
An oxidizer is a substance that can accept electrons from other substances. This includes Chlorine molecules Cl2 ,that can take 2 electrons to make Cl-.
Got it! :biggrin:

So, if I understand correctly you are saying that there will most likely be a reaction between Cl2 and HK, which will produce HCl and KCl?