1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the series converge or diverge?

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether the series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n+\sqrt{n}}[/tex]
    converges or diverges.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is driving me nuts. I get nowhere with the root test or the ratio test. I can think of some larger series that diverge (no good) and some smaller series that converge (also no good). What test would you recommend?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2
    The integral test.

n+√n < n+n = 2n

[tex]\frac{1}{n + \sqrt{n}} > \frac{1}{2n}[/tex]

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    I'm confused. Doesn't the integral test have us say that if [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{n+\sqrt{n}} dn}[/tex] diverges, then our series diverges?

Where do you get the 2n from using the integral test?

Also, the relation [tex]n + \sqrt{n} \leq n+n[\tex] definitely holds, but isn't the series of 1/2n from n=1 to infinity a divergent harmonic series?

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4
    Ah, well, I suppose in either case, it's a divergent series. This makes me very happy. Thanks.

6. Sep 30, 2009 #5
    I should have said the the comparison test with the integral test . Sorry about any confusion.

1/2n diverges, and since it is greater than 1/(n+√n), the latter also diverges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook