Does the Series Sum of 1 + (-1)^n/n Converge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
That Neuron
Messages
75
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The problem contained five answer choices, of which I the answerer was to find one that fit the criteria of the question. The question was: "Which series of the following terms would be convergent?".

It listed five series, The answer was this term: 1 + (-1)n / n.

Homework Equations



[itex]\Sigma[/itex]1 + (-1)n / n.

The Attempt at a Solution



I find this very confusing simply because whilst separating the series into two separate series, [itex]\Sigma[/itex]1 and [itex]\Sigma[/itex](-1)n / n, The second series converges (yes I was surprised also) by the alternating series test. Originally, I was dumbfounded because of the absolute value test, so I suppose the series is conditionally convergent. Anyways, if [itex]\Sigma[/itex](-1)n / n is convergent and [itex]\Sigma[/itex]1 is divergent, 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1... + 1 ... +1 (you get the point) Then how can a finite number (the second alternating series) affect convergence? Also, the limit test kind of rules convergence out for this one. Ha.

I may be missing something deceptively simple, so if anyone can help me out here that'd be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That Neuron said:
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]1 + (-1)n / n.
Do you mean this series:
$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1 + \frac{(-1)^n}{n}\right)$$
The first question to ask is whether the terms converge to zero. If not, the series cannot possibly converge.