Does the series sum of √(k²+1) − √(k²) converge or diverge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wheeler90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Divergence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
wheeler90
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. [tex]\sum(\sqrt{k^{2}+1}-\sqrt{k^{2}})[/tex] from K=0 to K=[tex]\infty[/tex]




2. Hi all. I need some help here. I have to use a test to determine whether the sum series diverges or converges



3. I thought it was the divergence test because I thought that the limit of the sum didn't approach zero, but I think I'm wrong. I need some help here. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The limit of the kth term does approach 0. But that doesn't mean it converges. Try multiplying by (sqrt(k^2+1)+sqrt(k^2))/(sqrt(k^2+1)+sqrt(k^2)) and simplify the algebra. Then give me your opinion about convergence.
 
If you multiply

[tex](\sqrt{k^2+1} - \sqrt{k^2})(\sqrt{k^2+1} + \sqrt{k^2}) = 1[/tex] So what you actually have is the series

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{\sqrt{k^2+1} + \sqrt{k^2}})[/tex]

Does that help?
 
Thank you both. That helped a lot. I used the comparison test and the p-series test and it does converge.

The real problem was similar in that instead of [tex]\sqrt{k^{2}+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k^{2}}[/tex] it was [tex]\sqrt{k^{5}+10}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k^{5}}[/tex]. I just didn't want it to feel like cheating. Thanks again.