Does the series 4/k(lnk)^2 converge or diverge?

In summary, the attempted solution of using the integral test for the summation ∑∞k=04k(lnk)2 does not work because the function is not continuous. The summation should be started at k=2 since the terms are undefined for k=0 and k=1.
sadcollegestudent

Homework Statement

##\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac 4 k(\ln k)^2 ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it using the integral test but since it's not continuous it doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sadcollegestudent said:
I tried to solve it using the integral test but since it's not continuous it doesn't work.
Please show what you've tried

sadcollegestudent said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I've corrected your formula such that it is LaTeX compatible. Is that what you meant? And starting the summation with ##0##?

sadcollegestudent said:
∑∞k=04k(lnk)2∑k=0∞4k(ln⁡k)2\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac 4 k(\ln k)^2

Are you sure [tex] \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac 4 {k(\ln k)^2} [/tex] wasn't meant? If you multiply with (ln k)^2 it's a rather simple summation if you know how to sum 1/k

Last edited:
sadcollegestudent said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Do you mean
$$\sum_k \frac{4}{k} (\ln k)^2 \hspace{3ex}(1)$$ or $$\sum_k \frac{4}{k (\ln k)^2} \hspace{3ex}(2) ?$$

Edit: I see that willem2 has beat me to it.

willem2 said:
Are you sure [tex] \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac 4 {k(\ln k)^2} [/tex] wasn't meant? If you multiply with (ln k)^2 it's a rather simple summation if you know how to sum 1/k
Based on what the OP wrote and revised a couple of times, this looks like what he/she intended.

Let's let @sadcollegestudent come back and let us know what the actual summation is...

sadcollegestudent said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(1) The integral test works perfectly. Perhaps if you showed us what you did we would be in a better position to help you.
(2) You need to start the summation at ##k=2##, since the terms are undefined when ##k = 0## or ##k = 1## (assuming you have ##\ln^2(k)## in the denominator).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in a series?

Convergence in a series means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. Divergence, on the other hand, means that the sum of the terms approaches either infinity or negative infinity.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence of a series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series as the number of terms increases.

3. What is the formula for the series 4/k(lnk)^2?

The series 4/k(lnk)^2 is an example of a logarithmic series, which has the general form of a_n = c/ln^n, where c is a constant and n is the term number. In this specific series, c=4 and n=2, making the formula a_n = 4/ln^2.

4. Does the series 4/k(lnk)^2 converge or diverge?

In order to answer this question, we would need to evaluate the series using one of the convergence or divergence tests mentioned in question 2. Without knowing the specific value of k, we cannot determine the convergence or divergence of this series.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the series 4/k(lnk)^2?

This series may have applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics, where logarithmic functions are commonly used to model real-world systems. However, without knowing the specific value of k and the context in which it is used, it is difficult to determine a specific application for this series.